Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Smile A Sunny Day

Started out a gorgeous day with my DVD of the first two Strawberry Shortcake 80s specials and cereal and dried cranberries for breakfast. It was so stunning, I was able to leave the windows wide open in my apartment all day with no problems. Also wore my demi capris and wasn't a bit cold.

I reversed the usual procedure for a day off and started with volunteering at the Haddon Township Library. The DVDs I had out were due, and I returned the just-finished Dial H For Hitchcock. Despite it being busy (the kids' story hour was beginning as I arrived), there wasn't a whole lot for me to do. I returned some DVDs and shelved a stack of kids' books.

Just as well that the library didn't have a whole lot going on. I had other things to do today. I stopped at JoAnn Fabric and bought a book on crocheting. It's intended for children; I thought the directions were clearer than most adult books. Went to Super Fresh next and bought vanilla, yeast, and bananas. Headed over to Dollar Tree for gel cleaner and sponges.

Had lunch at my favorite little bagel shop in the Westmont Plaza. It was 12:30 by then, and the place was mobbed to the gills. Between the nurses and secretaries on their lunch break and the kids from Haddon Township and Paul VI Catholic High School having their lunches, I just barely squeezed into a back booth next to the Flyers, golfing, and boxing memorabilia. Thankfully, the place had more-or-less cleared out by the time my vegetable quesadila arrived, and by the time I left, it was just me, the staff, and The Days of Our Lives on the TV.

It was such a nice day, I rode through Newton River Park, avoiding the perpetual traffic on Cuthbert Road. The park was pretty busy, too. I had to stop to allow two toddler girls to rush over to the playground with their mother. I'm glad I went that way, though. The snow is completely gone from the park now. Even the river has finally defrosted. It was a really lovely ride.

After I got home, I put away my groceries and book, grabbed my laundry, and headed right back out again. Uncle Ken was the only person home when I got into his and Dad's house, and he's recovering from surgery. I read On the Wrong Track and, after the laundry was in the dryer, went back home to clean the kitchen.

I was going to wait until tomorrow, but the kitchen really needed to be done. The ring around the sink was ugly. I accidentally spilled the last three Cranberry-Chocolate Chip Cookies while dusting the top of the fridge, which meant the end of my cookie stash. Needless to say, I wasn't happy.

The kitchen took longer than I thought to do...and when I got back to Dad and Uncle Ken's and got my laundry rounded up, Dad, Jodie, and my sister Rose and her boyfriend Craig were all there. Rose and Craig had dropped by to say "hi" and discuss details about their big baby shower on the 20th. Apparently, they're planning on having as many as 50 people there, though not all at once. Many of the guests are working that day or have kids who won't last for very long, so they'll probably only be in and out. I finally left when Rose and Craig did; Uncle Ken needs his rest.

Spent the rest of the evening at home. I was going to volunteer at the Oaklyn Library, but it was too late by the time I finally got in. I baked brownies to refill the cookie tin and made Spicy Chicken Cutlets with collard greens and mushrooms sauteed in tomato sauce and steamed broccoli for dinner. I was in an 80s mood after Strawberry Shortcake, so I watched The Goonies during baking and dinner.

(I think I'll move the Oaklyn Library volunteering to Thursday and cut the Collingswood Library this week all together. I only have so much time this week, and it makes sense to volunteer at the libraries closer to home that I actually have cards for.)

No comments: