Friday, February 04, 2011

The Eyes Really Have It

Started the morning by finishing Chocolate Dipped Death, the last of the books I bought over the holidays. A young woman who had a bad reputation in high school and is now a trophy wife is found dead after being accused of cheating at a Divinity candy-making competition. With the contest now on hold, Abby finds herself up to her ears in candy orders, former high school classmates holding long grudges, and family members who don't think she can run Divinity on her own. Can Abby keep Divinity afloat...and find out whose grudge could have been a reason for murder?

Actually, I liked the first one and the next one, Peppermint Twisted, better, but this wasn't bad. I'm hoping to pick up the fourth one, Goody Goody Gunshots, the next time I'm in a book store.

Watched Sailor Moon and had cereal and an orange for breakfast, then crocheted for a while and made my grocery list before it was time to get to work. It was partly cloudy when I got out, but not too cold or windy.

Work was busy for much of the day. Not only is it the beginning of the month, but the Super Bowl is this weekend, too. There were some annoying old ladies who had to have everything organized just so and held up the line. Otherwise, there were no major problems, not even with the new card rule.

My schedule this week is a huge improvement over the ones I've had since New Year's. More hours, nothing earlier than 11 or later than 8, and Wednesday and Thursday off. I'll even be off on Sunday just in time to run home and run over to Uncle Ken's for the Super Bowl.

Headed straight for America's Best after work. I've needed an eye exam and to order new contacts for over a month, but either the weather's been bad, or I've worked too late or been busy. I picked the right day. They were so quiet, I got my eye exam right away. The doctor ultimately concluded that my eye had changed slightly...but not so much that a new prescription was really needed, or even new glasses. The frames are still in really good shape. I only wear them once or twice a week. After my exam, I ordered my contacts and went back to the Acme to do my grocery shopping.

Most of what I needed this week was yogurt, fruit, and vegetables. I also picked up two packs of fish, some shrimp with a store coupon, and turkey pepperoni and sauce to make my own fresh pizza. I've always wanted to try that, and I thought it might be fun for tomorrow, when I don't have a lot planned besides a quick errand run in Oaklyn and dusting.

When I got home, I put everything away and watched the Bowery Boys while eating country-fried steak, steamed broccoli and cauliflower, spinach, and celery sticks. In Crashing Las Vegas, Slip, Sach, Chuck, and newcomer Myron head to Nevada via a TV game show when Sach is electrocuted and suddenly develops the ability to guess any number, anytime. The trouble starts when down-on-their-luck gamblers overhear them and decide Sach has a system...and want the "system" for themselves.

This was Leo Gorcey's last Bowery Boys movie. His father Bernard Gorcey had died shortly after the filming of the one before this, and his death sent the not-always sober Leo into a tail spin. Supposedly, he was drunk during much of the shooting of this film, though he looks pretty much like he always does to me. If anything, it's a dull and derivative script that does this in more than any off-screen troubles. Other than an odd prison sequence and the "King For a Day" sequence, it's really rather odd and has no actual Vegas flavor whatsoever.

No comments: