Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Wind In the Oaks

The wind started howling not long after I got home last night, and it hadn't abated a bit by the time I awoke this morning. I still had morning and early afternoon work, however. So I got dressed, put together a tomato-beef stew using the last of the sauce from the pizza in the Crock Pot for dinner, packed my lunch, and headed out.

Work wasn't too bad today. It was on-and-off steady all day, with no major problems. It was beginning to pick up around the time I was finished at 4. That was a problem. Not only was my relief late, but so were the reliefs for two of the managers! A manager who was staying finally came in for me.

It was harder to ride home than it was to ride to work. The wind was at my back on the way to the Acme. The Black Horse Pike is almost completely treeless, which meant my ride home was very blustery indeed! On the other hand, the snow on the sidewalks near the Acme is almost completely gone. I was able to get of the street, thank goodness.

When I got home, I went inside, grabbed my purse, changed my shirt, and went back out again. I went for a walk to CVS to pick up contact solution. I took the path over the train tracks to get there, but the path is an icy mess. It takes ages for snow to vanish completely there, with all those trees lining the tracks. I took the long way home down the White Horse Pike and West Clinton Avenue and got a good walk in.

Watched more Bowery Boys as I ate my stew for dinner. Angels In Disguise is my favorite of the Bowery Boys movies. Like Fighting Fools, it's a comedy-drama. Slip and Sach are devestated when their friend Officer Gabe Moreno is shot and another cop is killed by a mysterious local gang. They decide to get the goods on the criminals themselves...and inadvertently bring their friends Whitey, Chuck, and Butch and soda shop owner Louie along for the ride!

If you think of the Bowery Boys movies only in terms of the goofy 50s entries, Angels will be a major revelation. The tight plot, excellent script, and unusual villains put it on par with many film noir movies of the era. This is one of the very few times the Boys took on villains close to their own age or younger, and unlike most of their movies, the villains are genuinely menacing. I especially liked the ice-cold intellectual ringleader Mr. Carver.

No comments: