Tuesday, February 22, 2011

I've Got the Snow In the Morning and the Moon at Night

Yes, it did snow last night. I think we got about 3-4 inches all together. Not only was it not nearly as much as the last few times, it was fluffy and light and sparkly - spring snow, the kind that looks pretty coming down but doesn't last long. In fact, it was starting to melt even as I headed out the door. It was a lot warmer today than I or the weather reports (including the National Weather Service) thought it would be. I'm guessing it was in the mid-30s, instead of below freezing...which meant everything was melting. Though some of the sidewalks were still covered when I headed to work around quarter of 11, the streets were perfectly clear.

Work was quiet all day long. There was a mild spurt around noon...and then it just died again. First of all, we had several call-outs who were either sick or couldn't shovel their way out in time. Second, I have the feeling my bosses are right and most people did their shopping yesterday.

For once, I had a pleasant experience with WIC Check customers. A lady, her daughter, and her mother were really sweet. They were very understanding when they had to exchange their juices for 100% juice (no cocktails allowed), but otherwise, they had everything right. The daughter bagged without a fuss. The mother was funny. They seemed to like me, too. They said they appreciated my help and would shop there again - they'd just moved to the area. I was glad to help such nice people!

Beyond that, the day was boring. I got very sick very quickly of people complaining about the snow. It wasn't even that cold, and if it was windy, half of that glittery fluff would have been blown to Canada by morning! I really wish people would learn to deal with the weather better.

I, however, had every intention of enjoying the weather. I LIKE living where there's four seasons. Seeing the seasons change and the delights they bring is one of the great joys of life. I didn't even bother going upstairs when I got home. I just left my things in my bike basket and went for a walk in the park next-door.

It was like looking at the window of Tiffany's or a fresh, pure white linen sheet that was just laid down on a bed. It was breathtaking. There was barely a mark in the soft, translucent glitter that lay before me. I tramped through it, then rolled down the hill, like I did last month when it snowed, and made a snow angel. The snow was too fluffy for snowmen or snowballs, but I did toss some snow in the air to catch a passing breeze. It sparkled and twinkled in the late afternoon sun.

When I got in, I worked on the first couple of Wishcraft exercises. These mostly dealt with who you think you are, the things you loved in childhood, and what you want now. I did these when I took the book out last June, but my answers have changed so much since then, I decided to redo them.

The biggest change is that I no longer want a family. I want to be around people, yes, and even kids...but I don't want to raise them. I've seen my mother, sisters, and cousins raise children, and while I like kids, I don't think I want that kind of responsibility. Yes, I'd like to be part of a group...but I enjoy my space, too.

No comments: