Saturday, February 12, 2011

Maybe the Groundhog Was Right

Though it was a bit chillier and windier than yesterday when I got up around 8:30, it was once again sunny and nowhere near as cold as last month or December. The sky was a beautiful, cloudless blue. The snow's almost entirely gone from my porch and rapidly disappearing in most sunny places.

I headed out to run a few errands after breakfast. Ran to the bank to deposit my paycheck. Walked over to Uncle Ken's to say "hi" to Dad and Jodie (who got back from Florida on Monday) and pick up the pan I carried the cupcakes from the Super Bowl in. Took the long way home instead of trying to slog through the remaining snow and ice on the train tracks.

Spent the rest of the morning and early afternoon working on inventories and organizing. The antique dresser I use for tools, miscellaneous electronic devices, random wires, old glasses cases, menus, various types of tape, and other junk that doesn't have a place anywhere else in the apartment really needed to be de-cluttered.

Some of that junk, like the glue and the jars with the safety pins and the paper clips, was moved to my roll-top desk. They really belong there anyway. I cleared out a bunch of phone cords I didn't need and a few items that could be donated or thrown away. Everything else was put into the neatest rows I could manage. They look much better now.

When I finished with the dresser, I moved to the back room and organized the linens. I cleared out all of my sheets but the new ones Rose got me last year. They'll be cut into things for my dolls and my apartment. I'm tired of mis-matched sheets that don't fit on my bed anyway. I think I'll get one more sheet set later in the year, and that should be it for linens for a while.

I had stew for lunch next while watching more Bowery Boys. Jalopy takes the boys - and the car of the title, their beloved Model T "Lucy" - into the fast-paced world of auto racing. Run-down Lucy is considered to be a joke by the other racers until Sach develops a powerful fuel that makes her fly around the track in record time! Needless to say, the Boys' competition would love to get their hands on that special fuel!

(And this one is really for fans only. Cute, but nothing you haven't seen in other movies, including other Bowery Boys movies involving sports.)

I wasn't feeling very well when I headed to work. I've had an awful sinus headache and stuffy head ever since I got back from my walk this morning. Work didn't help any. It was busy, with quite a few annoying customers. One man complained about me being a miserable person because I didn't laugh at his dumb joke about what's under the carts. First of all, it was a dumb joke. Second, I didn't feel up to humoring him. Third, I hear dumb jokes about what's under the carts a hundred times a day, usually from older men who think they're being cute.

I definitely wasn't up to cooking after work. I bought applesauce and went to Arby's for dinner. Had the All-American Roast Beef meal and enjoyed it in a quiet dining area. A couple was leaving as I arrived; a family arrived as I left.

No comments: