Saturday, February 05, 2011

Pizza for One

I was relieved to see only rain when I got up this morning. That blizzard that pounded the midwest and north continues to elude us. I didn't even see any sleet or freezing rain. Had muffins for a late breakfast, then got the rent together for Miss Ellie. I direct deposited my tax refund and have been waiting for it to go through. It showed up in my bank account last night.

After I delivered the rent to her door, I went out for an errand run. It was raining lightly as I headed out, not a monsoon, but enough to need my umbrella. My first stop was the bank to deposit what little was left of my paycheck after I paid for my eye exam and contacts yesterday. After that, I went to CVS for batteries and to stock up on the Herbal Essences shampoo and conditioner for curls, both of which were on sale. (And the batteries were buy 1, get 1 free.)

Stopped by Uncle Ken's on my way home to say "hi" to him and Dolores and find out what's going on for the Super Bowl tomorrow. They were watching the History Channel and trying to stay warm on such a gloomy day. Yes, they're having a party tomorrow. Uncle Ken said the main dinner will be early because of all the kids, there should still be people around when I get there around 6:30, kick-off time for the game.

(To be honest, I'm only going for the food and to see my family, some of whom I haven't seen in over a month. The Steelers and the Packers have been in the Super Bowl a hundred times between the two of them, and I don't think this promises to be a terribly exciting game. I'll leave after half-time.)

Headed home after that and spent the rest of the evening doing things indoors and listening to records and CDs. I got the dusting done, which finishes this month's cleaning. I read some of my books on movies and musicals. I baked lemon-apple cupcakes for Uncle Ken's party. I made my first home-baked pizza for dinner, with onions, mushrooms, and turkey pepperoni. (I think I should have cut the dough in half - it was too fat and thick! Otherwise, it tasted very good. I'll have to use that recipe again sometime.)

I listened to several famous 1920s and 30s musicals I have on CD and record while making and eating my pizza. The 1971 revival of No No, Nanette is one of my favorite cast albums. I have no idea what the plot is, but the songs, including "I Want to Be Happy," "Tea For Two," and "I've Confessed to the Breeze" are fun. My favorite number was actually written for the revival but dropped. Ruby Keeler and Jack Gilford describe why nostalgia is so important to many people in the lovely "Only A Moment Ago."

Two Decca studio cast albums switched from goofy musical comedy to high operetta action. The Desert Song, with Kitty Carisle and Wilbur Evens, is one of my very favorites. The Scarlet Pimpernel-ish tale of a general's son who is also the desert chieftan The Red Shadow features "One Alone," the passionate title song, and the playful "Romance." New Moon goes to the French Revolution era for a love between a young woman and a lord who is a bondservant in the New World. The score includes "Softly, As In A Morning Sunrise," "Wanting You," and "Stouthearted Men."

Jerome Kern's Roberta mixes both operetta and more typical musical comedy. This 1935 show was one of Bob Hope's first hits. The original film version featured Irene Dunne, Fred Astaire, and Ginger Rogers. Two songs were added for Fred and Ginger, "Lovely To Look At," and "I Won't Dance," and they've been retained for show ever since. Jack Cassidy and Kaye Ballard perform "Dance" on my heavy early 50s LP, along with "Let's Begin." Joan Roberts, Laurey in the original 1943 Oklahoma, gets to sing the standard "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes." Stephan Douglass, best known for originating Billy Bigelow in Carousel, sings "You're Devastating."

No comments: