Friday, March 04, 2011

Dreaming in the Afternoon with Dreamgirls

I got up at around 8:30, but it was more than an hour before I got out of bed. I spent that hour writing in my journal and reading the novelization of Dreamgirls. Not bad, especially for a musical that relies heavily on visuals and sound. It did make me want to watch the movie again, which I'm sure was the author's intention.

After breakfast, I headed for the Oaklyn Library for my last volunteering session of the week. It was a lovely day, warmer than yesterday but not above the norm for this time of the year, sunny and windy.

The Oaklyn Library was holding a birthday party for Dr. Seuss (and Dr. Seuss fans) later. I had to make my way around tables set for the party to organize the DVDs and the kids' videos.

I went for a short walk after I left the library. It's looking more and more like spring in Oaklyn. The wind blew the last of the fall leaves and sticker balls, sending them skittering down the street. Tiny crocus buds are just barely beginning to pop out of the ground, and branches have tiny brown buds on them, too.

I checked something online really quick when I got home. After I finished, I made Pineapple Tuna Salad for lunch and watched Dreamgirls. Dreamgirls is one of my favorite movies, the tale of the rise of a fictional black female musical group in the 60s and 70s. Yes, the story is familiar, but the fabulous musical numbers and wonderful acting (especially from Jennifer Hudson and Eddie Murphy) really makes it work.

(However, one very big word of warning - this is a musical. A really musical musical. As in, people do burst into song in the middle of a sentence. I love that. If you don't love that, this will not be your movie, no matter how good the acting is.)

Went right to work after lunch. Work was very busy all night. It's the beginning of the month, and people are getting their usual money and funds. Thankfully, other than some mildly annoying older ladies, there were no major problems.

No comments: