Sunday, March 13, 2011

Love On the the Wrong Tracks

Thanks to Daylight Savings, I didn't go to bed until past 3:30 last night. Needless to say, I really slept in this morning. I finally put on Brunch With the Beatles around quarter after 10. "Songs Recorded Or Released In the Spring" was the theme today. We heard "All My Lovin'," "A Hard Day's Night," "Help!," "Ticket To Ride," "Eight Days A Week," "Penny Lane," and "The Ballad of John and Yoko," among others.

I made Apple-Cinnamon Pancakes for breakfast, then called Mom. Mom was getting ready to go into Cape May as I called. We discussed changes in Cape May, the horrifying tsunami in Japan a few days ago and what it means for the US, local teacher troubles, and my brother's impending graduation and joining the Navy.

I spent the rest of the morning and early afternoon crocheting and watching Brief Encounter. I'm not normally into romance tales, but I did rather like this quiet British movie about a gentle affair between a housewife and a doctor. It's all very simple and subtle. The two don't really do anything that indiscreet, but it drives both crazy anyway, especially her.

It's hard to believe that David Lean is the director of this quiet, charming movie, especially if you know his bombastic Hollywood epics well. There are many unassuming touches here and there, and some wonderful shots of the two at the train station, the movies, and chatting on a bridge in the country.

Also, I like how adult everything is. The two are, despite their affair, happily married, and their spouses and families are good people. It makes their ultimate choice all the more tragic.

I had a quick lunch of tuna salad and an orange after the movie ended, then headed for work. It was on-and-off cloudy and still very windy, making for a blustery, chilly ride.

Work was less of a problem. We were busy all day, and except for a smattering of annoying older women, everyone was in a good mood. It slowed down enough for me to head home after work without a relief.

When I got home, I set up a Lemon Coconut Mousse Pie made with skim milk for dessert. It's not finished yet - I'll check again in a hour.

No comments: