Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Miss Redmer Had Some Wacky Sheep

It was so nice and sunny when I got up around 8, it was hard to believe we're supposed to be getting major storms starting tomorrow night. It was sunny, breezy, and a little chilly but nothing abnormal for March in Southern New Jersey. It was such a nice day, I took the long way through Newton River Park on my way to the Haddon Township Library. Not surprisingly, there were lots of joggers and dog-walkers out and about today. A big flock of Canadian geese went for a swim near the Westmont-side entrance.

The Haddon Township Library was busy, too. I arrived around 11. The Storybook Hour was in full-tilt; I listened to the kids as I organized DVDs. There were lots of DVDs and books to put away today. There were so many non-fiction DVDs, I had to wheel them over to their section in a cart!

I did find the Season One set for Sean the Sheep there. I loved the Party Animals set and really wanted to see more. I also took out a collection of four Scooby Doo, Where Are You? episodes and two live-action movies, Brief Encounter and Cadillac Records, along with a Hungry Girl cookbook.

My next stop was a brief sojourn to Dollar Tree for hair bands and soap. After that, I headed to Capitol Pizza for lunch. I had two slices of Broccoli and Mushroom pizza and a bottle of water while listening to CNN on their TV...and remembering why I hate cable. Other than the weather, nothing they said was of the slightest interest to me. I prefer to get my news from newsmagazines, newspapers, and the Internet, where I can filter out what's important and what isn't.

Went home after lunch. I put on Sean the Sheep while making Coconut Macaroons from a very simple recipe in The Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook. It just required egg whites, salt, sugar, and coconut. Other than I made them too big, the macaroons came out delicious, sweet with a crunchy outside and a soft inside.

Sean the Sheep was fun, too. The premise of the series has apparently been the same from the beginning. Other than some changes in character design (the cat looked awful), Season One isn't too different from later stories. Sean and his fellow barnyard animals love creating mayhem behind the dim-witted farmer's back. My favorites included the party held in the barn after Sean finds the farmer's old record player, the soccer game with the cabbage that the Naughty Pigs try to steal, the sheep stealing the farmer's hot bath water when their own is too cold, and the animals doing the farmer's wash after they inadvertently send it all over the farmyard.

I went for a walk after the Macaroons finished. It was still breezy and chilly, but clouds were starting to move in. There were a lot of people strolling around, probably enjoying time outdoors before the storms arrive.

I spent the rest of the afternoon cleaning, baking, and watching Sean the Sheep and Bowery Boys movies. I did the windows, then worked on some Rye Bread and Swedish Rice Porridge from Kirsten's Cookbook. I made the porridge with brown rice instead of white; otherwise, it remained the same as the original recipe. I don't think the rye bread rose enough. I haven't tried it yet, but it smelled good in the oven.

I did the budget before dinner. I spent a lot on "extras" last month...but that was because of my tax return. I don't intend to spend nearly as much on anything this month. March is usually a fairly quiet month for me.

No comments: