Friday, March 11, 2011

Springtime In the Neighborhood

I woke up fairly late this morning. I had just enough time after breakfast for a nice little walk around the neighborhood. Signs of spring are everywhere. Though a smattering of homes still have Valentine's or even Christmas decorations in random places, most have replaced them with St. Patrick's Day and spring banners and wreaths. Flowers are just beginning to sprout in every garden. It's nice to see the green growing shoots.

When I got in, I did a little bit of work on the Wishcraft exercises. The exercise asked you to list five or more "lives" that you'd live if you had the money, time, resources, etc. I listed ten! Most involved writing of some kind, but there's also "baker," "doll clothes maker," "librarian," and "marine biologist." This is part of where I get confused. There's so many things I'm interested in, it's hard to know where to begin.

I finished the Scooby Doo disc while having a quick tuna salad lunch. Foul Play In Funland had the gang chasing a seemingly indestructible man in a popular local amusement park that has closed for the winter. Foul Play is an oddity in several respects. It's one of the few episodes where the gang takes on a non-living "monster"...and where the villain isn't a person in a costume. In fact, this may be one of the only episodes with no real villain at all.

Headed for work early to get my schedule and paycheck. Ironically, this proved to be a futile gesture. First of all, my schedule for next week is exactly the same as this week's. I think this is the first time this has happened in the eight years I've worked at an Acme. I didn't even need to write it down. Second, the line at Customer Service was so long, I ended up waiting until my break to get my paycheck.

Customer Service weren't the only ones who were busy. There were long lines for most of the day. It was just starting to slow down when I finished at 6:30. Other than some old ladies who were so obnoxious about their bagging even the baggers complained, there were no major problems.

I rode over to Arby's for dinner after work. This time, I just had an iced tea and a Turkey Club Sandwich, which was so big, I didn't really need the fries. A couple of young teen girls (probably no more than 14 or 15) screamed and chattered noisily behind me. I felt sorry for the boy with them - he seemed to be there solely to grab things for the girls.

Went back to the Acme after dinner and did my grocery shopping. I had a LOT of restocking to do. The rye bread I made on Thursday used up my rye flour, and I ran out of cooking spray on Wednesday. The Swedish Rice Porridge cleared out my brown rice. I replaced the can of Cherry Fruit Cup I had with lunch this afternoon. I needed a ton of vegetables and fruit - grapefruit, bananas, Gala apples, strawberries, bagged spinach, and the cabbage that's on sale 2 pounds for a $1.00. (NOT two heads for a dollar, as many people thought - they get weighed.)

No comments: