Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Miss Redmer and the Busy Day

I probably shouldn't have slept in this morning, with everything I needed to get done today. After yesterday, though, I really needed it! I got up around quarter of 9 and read and wrote in my journal for a little while. I had cereal for breakfast while watching the MGM musical on Rogers and Hart, Words and Music.

Didn't get to the laundromat until around 11. It was perfect timing. The place was ghost-town quiet when I arrived. There was one other person just getting ready to leave and NBC 10's morning talk show, and that was it. Ten minutes after I got my laundry in the dryer, people suddenly swarmed in. When I left, there was barely a washer open.

It was cloudy and cool all day long. It showered lightly on and off for most of the day, but the rain never got as heavy as last week. I got my small load of clothes home without getting soaked this time.

After I put the laundry away and had a quick lunch, I went back out again. I had books due at the Haddon Township Library. There was plenty of DVDs to put away when I arrived, and lots of childrens' books to do, too. I also found some interesting DVDs and a few books. The DVDs were The Backyardigans's newest release We Arrrrr Pirates, one of the older Angelina Ballerina collections, and How to Train Your Dragon. The Calvin and Hobbes comic I bought last week made me want more, so I took out three more of those. Also grabbed two books on writing.

Made a few short stops at Super Fresh (was looking for peanut butter but came out with honey for a $1) and Dollar Tree (Easter cards). I thought of stopping elsewhere, but it had continued to shower off and on. I decided I was tired of being wet and rode home.

I finished Words and Music, then ran The Backyardigans while making cornmeal-battered chicken cutlets, spinach salad, and steamed broccoli and cauliflower for dinner. As you can guess, pirates and nautical stories is the theme of this DVD. Alas, all but one of these episodes had been released to DVD on previous collections...and the one new episode ("The Tale of the Not-So-Nice Dragon") is a follow up to an earlier story, "The Tale of the Mighty Knights."

Good thing the Haddon Township and Oaklyn Libraries don't have many older Backyardigans DVDs. One of the previously released episodes was one I hadn't seen before, the first season's "Pirate Treasure." Uniqua and Austin and Pablo and Tyrone are two sets of pirates with half of a map, both looking for the same treasure. They meet up when Uniqua and Austin almost end up walking the plank. The two groups find they must work together to overcome their handicaps and find the treasure...and learn the importance of sharing.

No comments: