Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Too Early For Summer

It wasn't that warm when I got up this morning. I poked my head out around quarter of 10 and felt a nice, fresh breeze. I wrote in my journal, then had cereal and grapefruit for breakfast and watched Angelina Ballerina.

Angelina's tendency towards scheming was spotlighted in most of these stories. She fancies herself a rodent Nancy Drew in "Angelina the Mouse Detective," but can she, Henry, and Alice find out who's been stealing garden gnomes around Chipping Cheddar? She and Alice get into a really big mess when they pass themselves off as adults to attend a fancy party in "The Costume Ball." In "The Big Performance," Miss Lilly is determined to get herself and Angelina to Queen Seraphina's big gala so Angelina can perform for royalty...no matter what they have to do to get there!

"Angelina's Baby Sister" hit rather close to home for me. Angelina is delighted when her baby sister Polly is born at first. Polly was born the day before her big end-of-the-year performance, and that means her parents can't go and miss seeing her win an award. Poor Angelina is terribly upset. She's even worse when her grandparents arrive and fuss over Polly, too. She feels neglected and frustrated...until she finds a way to make her and Polly happy.

I know exactly how Angelina feels. Mom was pregnant with Keefe when I was just getting out of the Special Services Middle School. They missed my "moving up" ceremony so Mom could get to the clinic in Atlantic City and get a check-up to make sure everything was fine. I was just as disappointed. Keefe cried the first time I held him, too. When he got older, though, I took care of him because quite a bit I was the only one who didn't do much, and we ended up being very close.

Went for a walk to the Oaklyn Library around 12. The cool of the morning had become blazing heat. It was at least 80 degrees. I was warm in my lightest pair of work pants, and I didn't need my spring jacket at all. The preschoolers who come in every Wednesday were hard at work on Easter pictures when I arrived. I worked on organizing DVDs until they left. After they headed out, I shelved kids' books. Also bought a cookbook, Southern Heritage Celebrations Cookbook. There were two other Southern Heritage cookbooks there, for sport events and entertaining, but the recipes didn't interest me as much.

Went for a short walk down Manor, then headed home for lunch. I had leftover chili, spinach salad, and a slice of home-made French bread with honey while watching The Easter Bunny Is Coming To Town. This is more-or-less Rankin-Bass's spring version of Santa Claus Is Coming To Town. It's my favorite of the three Rankin-Bass Easter specials, if only because it has more to do with Easter than their other two specials do.

It was so warm, I left my coat home and was perfectly fine going to and from work. Work was steady for most of the night. Many people were taking advantage of the nice weather to have parties or barbecues. Others were getting ready for Easter. There were no major problems, and I was able to shut down with a relief who is always late.

No comments: