Saturday, April 16, 2011

Oaklyn's Easter Egg Hunt and Other Rainy-Day Tales

I was enjoying my oatmeal with strawberries, brown sugar, and a little peanut butter when I saw something going on in Veteran's Park next-door. People were bringing bales of hay out of a truck, roping out squares, and hiding colorful plastic eggs. Yup, it was time for Oaklyn's annual Easter Egg Hunt. They hold a hunt for all of the local kids up to age 12 at Veteran's Park every year.

The weather was gloomy, chilly, and blustery, but the rain held off as I headed out the door. I really needed to get to the bank...and I slept in longer than I'd planned, so I was late getting out. Miss Ellie's sister Linda who lives down the street saw me walking and drove me part-way, but I only agreed to it because I was in a hurry. Thank goodness the bank wasn't busy.

Caught the tail end of the Easter Egg Hunt after I got home. Despite the weather, there were quite a few kids at the Hunt this year. The Easter Bunny (a fellow in glasses and a rather silly bunny suit) gave any kid who found a dark green egg a gift card to Barnes and Noble. I thought that was a far more interesting and useful gift than the usual pre-wrapped baskets kids get as grand prizes at the Egg Hunt.

I headed to work less than an hour after the Easter Egg Hunt ended. The weather was still chilly and blustery, but the rain held off.

Even when it did finally start raining sometime in mid-afternoon, it didn't effect the crowds. We were on-and-off busy all day, a lot busier than yesterday. Other than a few mildly annoying customers, there were no major problems, and my relief was on time.

It was still raining, and raining hard, when I got out of work. If I'd been going to work, I would have called for a ride. Since I was going home, I figured I could just dry off there. I rode home and arrived dripping wet. (On the other hand, it actually felt warmer going home in the evening than it did this morning, so it could have been worse.)

Spent the rest of the evening baking chocolate-oatmeal chip cookies and watching Road to Singapore, one of the only Road To... movies I hadn't seen. Bing is the laid-back heir to a fortune who would rather be sailing around the world with his buddy (Hope) than working for his dad. They end up on an island near Singapore, where they rescue a lovely local girl (Dorothy Lamour) from her abusive boss (Anthony Quinn). Crosby's father and jilted fiancee are hot on his trail, though, and so's the authorities after Hope's "miracle cleanser" isn't as much of a miracle as he hoped...

Though this is the first Road To movie, it doesn't feel as polished or as funny as later entries. It wasn't originally intended to be a series at all, but Bob and Bing were added at the last minute, and they and Dorothy Lamour just worked so well together, and the movie was such a huge hit, they ended up making six more between 1941 and 1962.

As for the weather, I got really lucky. Thunderstorms moved in during dinner...and with the thunder came heavier rain. It's been storming heavily on and off for the rest of the night.

Oh, and I finally got Molly's Camp Outfit. Two of them, actually. Her original Camp Outfit in full came yesterday. I won that on eBay (it retired earlier this year). I never thought I'd get the full outfit, though, so I'd also won just the shorts and hat. Molly will get the full outfit; Jessa will get the shorts.

No comments: