Thursday, February 09, 2012

Balance and the Dolls

That so-called "snow" was mostly gone by the time I got up this morning. There was still a little on my porch, but almost nothing anywhere else. Once again, almost any snow on the ground was gone by noon. It wasn't, however, as warm as everyone thought it was going to be. I'd say it was about the upper 30s...normal for this time of year.

Today is my stepfather Bill's birthday. I called him at home during my cracked wheat cereal breakfast. Got Mom, who told me he was out at work (he's a commercial fisherman). She did get the birthday card I sent him, and would give it to him when he came home.

Yoga was next. We worked on hip and joint openers. I wish it didn't involve a lot of up and down on the arms. My left arm is still a bit sore from my gym workout on Wednesday. I did what I could; I wasn't even going to attempt full wheel today.

I was late getting out of class, and it may have been just as well. There wasn't much going on at the Collingswood Library. I shelved a small stack of DVDs, and that was about it. The DVDs weren't too unorganized (even the kids' shelf), and there was nothing to put away upstairs. I read for a while. Stopped at WaWa's on the way home for a turkey hoagie and a pretzel.

There was a big package waiting for me when I got home. Molly's new outfit had arrived from eBay! Her Skating Outfit is one of the last currently-avalible clothes that I didn't have for my Molly. It's really overpriced on AG's site, but I got an early mint-in-the-box version, complete with the no-longer-included hanger, for 24 dollars minus shipping...which was exactly what the outfit used to cost on AG's site.

(Skip this next part if you're offended by my descriptions of the dolls and their clothes.)

I changed Molly into it while running Lillian Russell. The cute embroidered sweater is too tight on my Molly with her School Outfit blouse under it, but the skirt fits her just fine and looks great over her white tights and saddle shoes. I liked it so much, I changed the other girls' clothes into something lighter, too. Felicity wears the blue and white floral print dress I picked up from the Deptford Mall two years ago. Samantha looks very pretty in a hand-made version of her rare ice-blue Skating Party Dress I picked up on eBay. Jessa wears Molly's red Hula Sweater over the 1995 modern meet outfit white shirt, the jeans from the 1995 Blue Jeans Basics, and Springfield Collection sneakers and socks.

I had just enough time after the movie ended to change my own clothes, pack dinner, and hurry out. Arriving on time was necessary; we were a lot busier than yesterday. It doesn't help that the stock people are currently in the midst of re-arranging the store. I don't know who put Bread all the way on the other side of the store from the entrance and the milk, but it's ridiculous. It's next to the cosmetics aisle now! I wish they'd just leave everything alone. Whomever organized this obviously doesn't know much about shopping.

2 comments:

Linda said...

Ah, I take it we've heard from the dimbulb again. What kind of loser takes offense at someone talking about dolls? Seems to me whatsisname needs to get a life, since he apparently has nothing better to do with his than to read a blog he doesn't like.

Nope, the supermarket designers know nothing about shopping, but a lot about marketing. You see, the grocery stores advertise that all they do is for YOU, their customer. That's, as Col. Potter used to say, HORSEHOCKEY. Maybe once upon a time your neighborhood grocer did that, but not supermarkets. Of course the bread is all the way across the store from the milk. You come into the store to buy only bread and milk. You pick up the bread, then have to truck all the way across the store for the milk. On the way there you pass the bakery. Oh, there's a mini-fruit pie; I'll buy that for dessert. Oh, there's some chicken breasts in the manager's special slot--that's a good deal. Oh, and I'm passing the canned vegetables--let me get some corn and beets. Oh, I forgot I needed some sponges. What a good sale on laundry detergent--and I have a coupon, too! Remember the "only bread and milk"? Instead of $5 you've now spent $35. But, remember, they do it all for YOU. (The milk in our big new Kroger is allllllll the way across the store from the produce for the same reason. What a joke these store ads are.)

Emma said...

Haven't heard from him, but I don't want to encourage anyone else to fuss. I've been fussed at too much in my life for enjoying things others don't.

Marketing, shmarking. These marketing geniuses need to start doing their own shopping. Then maybe they could explain to all of the old ladies why the bread is next to the cosmetics and they can't find the Kool-Aid at all. And they could also have all the fun of listening to everyone whine because, oh, we bought so much more than we should have, and oh, we only came in for one thing, and we bought the store.

Ignore the marketing. Work along the sides and back of the store, and avoid the aisles as much as possible unless you really need something. :P