Saturday, February 18, 2012

When You Need a Hand

Began a gorgeous, sunny, windy day with some reading and a fast errand and volunteering run. Hit the bank to deposit my paycheck, then walked down to the Oaklyn Library. They're separating the TV DVD sets, the nonfiction/documentary DVDs, and the adult fiction DVDs again. There's plenty of room for them on the other side of the shelf where the children's DVDs are. I pulled the remaining TV and documentary titles and organized everything. (I also suggested that the librarians find colored stickers or color-coded labels for the TV and nonfiction titles, like they did with the children's titles, to keep them from ending up in the wrong place.) I also worked on organizing the children's books.

When I got home, I had leftover Orange Chicken Stir Fry for lunch, then worked on my project for an hour. I didn't get very far. I just can't think of any businesses that would be online that I could list and make it sound creative. I have seen some on Entrepreneur Magazine's website, but I didn't want to sound like I was copying them.

Work was even worse. You'd think the nice day would put people in decent moods, but I was in the express lane and had a lot of annoying people in a hurry, or people who gave me one hundred orders on how to bag without lifting a finger to help themselves. And then there were the folks who threw a fit because the Marie Callender Coconut Cream Pie wasn't on sale for $2.99. (It was the small ones that were $2.99, but they though the sign said the big ones and wouldn't listen).

I don't want to go back to the Acme. That job is frustrating, stressful, and demeaning. The trouble is, I have no idea of how to find another day job...because I'm not going to be able to start a writing or editing business overnight, no matter how many classes I take. I debated looking for a job coach or a life coach last year. I gave up the idea because of the expense, but I may just bite the bullet and do it anyway. I've really hit a dead wall. I can't stand working as a cashier anymore, but I don't know where to go next, or how to get a day job I can handle better that'll still pay the rent...because whatever I've been doing for the past 10 years hasn't worked. I need help to decide what my next step should be, someone who knows what they're doing.

No comments: