Friday, February 07, 2020

Dolls On a Windy Day

I awoke to a torrential downpour and blasting winds that made me happy I had today off. It continued on and off all morning, providing a rather noisy backdrop to breakfast and Blockbusters. A young woman went up against the mother-daughter team. She didn't have a chance; they blasted through, and the daughter won the bonus round in half the time. WKRP In Cincinatti bombshell Loni Anderson and kooky McLean Stevenson and baby-faced Gary Burgoff of MASH joined Gene, Brett, and Charles for shenanigans and jokes about Loni's hot babe status in two Match Game episodes from late 1978.

Finally got around to making that eye doctor appointment after I finished eating. I haven't had an eye exam in at least five years. I was going to America's Best behind the Acme, but they didn't take my health insurance at the time, and it got too expensive. Not only do I need a basic exam, but I need to get that lazy eye checked out, too. Yes, the place Dr. Jessica recommended takes my current health insurance. I'll be going there on the 25th.

Dressed the dolls for Valentine's Day around 11:30. Samantha's in her Talent Show Dress, a limited edition outfit from 2003 based after one of her short stories. It's so historically accurate, it's based after a real Edwardian girl's dress from a Wisconsin museum. Whitney and Josefina wear hand-made outfits from eBay. Whitney's is a long-sleeved blouse with a pink felt poodle skirt and thick cotton slip trimmed with lace; she also gets to borrow Molly's saddle shoes and a pink knit cardigan with pearl trim I got from a yard sale. Josefina looks lovely in a ruffle-trimmed Empire waist dress with a pink and maroon floral pattern and a lace wrap and maroon satin ribbon trim. Molly wears her plaid School Jumper and blouse with Sam's black strap shoes. Felicity is also dressed for school, or at least tea lessons, in her Laced Jacket and Petticoat. Ariel gets the cream-colored Sweet Spring Dress with the pink satin flower on the collar. Though we're past Chinese New Year, Jessa still got to wear Ivy's Chinese New Year dress - it's the right color for Valentine's Day, too.

Since I was out of yogurt, I had leftover turkey chili for lunch. Started Downton Abbey, but I accidentally put on Season 4 instead of 3. By the time I realized the mistake, it was too late to check out the whole episode. I ended up watching the Winnie the Pooh Valentine's Day special A Valentine For You. Pooh and the others are upset when they see Christopher Robin making a valentine for a girl. They think he likes her better than them. Owl convinces them that he's been bitten by the "smitten" bug, and they have to find another one to change him back.

It was down to clouds, wind, and the rare minor shower when I headed out to get the laundry done. Thankfully, unlike the last couple of weeks, it was fairly quiet when I arrived. I had no trouble getting a washer or a dryer. Good thing, too. I had a big load, including towels. I worked on story notes while half-listening to talk shows and General Hospital on Channel 6.

Put everything away when I got home, then did some writing. The winds blow the crowds into each other. Charles isn't happy to land on Brett; Marcia feels a lot better when she and the small man hold onto each other for dear life. Brett and Gene know it's black magic trying to separate them, but it's making Brett groggy, and Gene can't reach for his wand. It's also drowning out what the dark-haired royal is trying to tell Marcia...

Broke at 6 to get ready to go out to dinner with Jessa. Watched Match Game while I got organized. The episode from 1975 had a set-up similar to the one I watched this morning; baby-faced comic (Johnny Brown from Good Times), cool but goofy smart-mouthed guy (Richard Dawson), and cute blonde (soap opera star Trish Stewart) join Brett, Charles, and Gene for a round of jokes and Brett and Charles teasing each other about his toupee and her age.

Jessa picked me up around 6:30. My first suggestion was the Applebee's next-door to the Acme, but I forgot they're a bar and it's Friday. Since we were already at the mall, we ended up at Tu Se Bella's. I eat there fairly frequently, but I usually just get pizza. Jess and I shared a basket of fries and had sandwiches. She had chicken with broccoli rabe and American; I had hot roast beef with provolone, spinach, and gravy. Not only were they enormous, the size of three regular sandwiches, but they were messy...and very tasty. My hot roast beef sandwich dripped gravy, making it hard to hold, but it was warm and cheesy and cooked just right. They were so huge, we both ended up taking half of them home.

Watched a couple of game show episodes on Buzzr when we got in. Most of the folks on Let's Make a Deal did better than the ones I saw the other day. This time, a male nurse and his house of cards buddy got money and an entertainment center and stereo that the nurse said he could use, and a lady in a poncho got the big deal of the day, lots of bedroom furniture.

Password Plus was even funnier. Then-married couple Patty Duke and John Astin had more than a few problems getting through to their partners. One guessed "tuna fish" on a puzzle that said "bumble" and "bee." Yeah, it was honey; Patty Duke looked like she was ready to throttle her. Patty herself did much better, guessing "Devil" on the first puzzle on just the word "horns." Her jaw must have dropped a mile when she realized she guessed correctly on her first try!

Finished the night after Jess left with another I Dream of Jeannie episode. Major Roger Healy becomes "The World's Greatest Lover" in the second season when Jeannie, seeing he can't get a date, casts a spell on him that makes him irresistable to to women. Now, his secretary wants to marry him, putting her jealous gangster boyfriend after him, and the wife of base psychiatrist Dr. Bellows attempts to seduce him. Jeannie has to reverse the spell, before Roger ends up either wed, dead, or transferred to the Aleutian Islands!

No comments: