Saturday, February 29, 2020

Leaping Into Leap Year

Began my Leap Year day with breakfast and two quick episodes of Match Game from 1977 on YouTube. In the first, Brett has to do some explaining to tell Gene that Jane doesn't talk the way Tarzan did in the 30's movies, and everyone comes up with some interesting answers to "Put __." Gene has trouble with his shoelaces in the next episode, Charles gives his opinion on a question involving a man trading his wife in, and Elaine Joyce is even noisier about where Gene puts his hands.

Headed to work even before the episode ended. Work went pretty quickly for a relatively long day. I did go in for a cashier early in the morning, shelved candy, and swept the store once, but I spent the majority of the day outside with the carts. Not a bad day for it. While it remained windy and cold, it at the very least was also sunny and dry.

Ran into Rose loading up her car in the parking lot while doing the carts later in the morning. I finally told her about the landlady raising the rent next month. She's not terribly happy with her or me and insisted I call Jodie and Dad for help.

Picked up my schedule when I arrived. It's one of the better ones I've had in a while. Mostly afternoon and early evening hours, except on Wednesday and Thursday when the head manager is off and comes in late respectively. Same days off, Tuesday and Friday. I'll have plenty of time to talk to the family, work on writing and job ideas, and do my monthly cleaning.

Went straight into grocery shopping after I finished. Took advantage of more online coupons to get deals on Belvita cookies, a pint of Baskin Robbins ice cream, cranberries, honey, milk, cheese, and yogurt. My vegetable crisper is just about empty. Grabbed bags of green beans, carrots, and spinach to have with dinner this week. Since bagged Green Giant frozen vegetables were also on sale, I thought I'd give the butternut squash Riced Veggies a try to get more vegetables in my diet. Restocked canned pineapple, bananas, tangerines, cereal, and canola oil.

Returned to Match Game on YouTube while I unpacked everything. Jumped back to 1975 for two of the earliest nighttime games. Richard Dawson and Clifton Davis made a few racial jokes that you'd never get away with today in the first episode. William "Captain Kirk" Shatner and Lee "Catwoman" Merriweather helped liven up the second.

Worked on writing after I finished. Marcia and Gene attempt to attack Malade, who sends spiny rose vines after Gene and knocks Marcia back. Bill's terrified the witch will muzzle him and try to force him to work for her again, and Charles is still surrounded by fire...and even more scared.

Broke for dinner at 6:30. Had leftovers and made Chocolate Chip Muffins from Alton Brown's Old School Muffin recipe while watching the Cannon Movie Tales version of Beauty and the Beast from 1987. I go further into this surprisingly charming retelling at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.

Family Fun Saturday - Beauty and the Beast (1987)

Finished the night after a shower with two Match Game "premieres" on YouTube and Charlie's Angels on The Roku Channel. "Angels On Wheels" take the women into competitive roller derby after a star skater dies in what seems to be an accident. Her sister believes otherwise, despite what the police say. Jill gets into the sport and becomes a skater herself, Sabrina poses as an insurance agent looking into phony claims, and Kelly claims she's a woman reporter while searching the deceased's apartment. Someone, however, doesn't want the Angels finding out what's really going on with those phony claims and are willing to blow them out of the ring (and Kelly's car) for good.

No comments: