Tuesday, February 25, 2020

The Eyes Have It

Began a wet morning with breakfast and Sailor Moon Super S. It's the beginning of the end when the Guardians take on "The Source of Darkness: Dead Moon Circus." Pegasus finally explains to them who he is, why Mamoru's been sick ever since the cobwebs shut out the light, and what Nehelania and the Dead Moon Circus are really up to. They head down to the circus tent to take on the Amazons and their minions. They do manage to get rid of most of the monsters, but lost Sailor Chibi-Moon to evil Queen Nehelania and her second-in-command Zirconia.

Headed into the rain around quarter after 10. Rain or no rain, I had a couple of major appointments today. The eye doctor's office turned out to be in the big blocky Station office building on Haddon Avenue in Collingswood. Found the main office on the first floor after only a minute or two of searching. The waiting room was a little larger than the one at the doctor's office across town; the chairs were comfortable, but old, with torn upholstery.

Thanks to the prescription from Dr. Jessica, it took a lot less time to relate my past history to them. They got me into an eye exam room in no time. Jill, a cheerful technician with blonde curls as bouncy as her personality, did the first half of my exam, putting these strange drops in my eyes that dripped yellow. Dr. Karen Levy did the second half, kindly asking questions about my past eye history and my family. She could talk to America's Best, but the only eye doctor I ever saw before that was at an office in a shopping center in Rio Grande that I'm not even sure exits anymore.

Verdict? My eyes haven't changed in the five years since I last got them checked. They're still really nearsighted. Dr. Levy told me the lazy eye isn't that big of a deal; doing surgery now would be too hard for my brain to process. It even moves faster than most eyes. It's the nearsighted that's more of a concern. She says to watch out for tearing or stretching in the retinas. I considered getting glasses, but I just don't have that much money. I may consider asking about a new pair for my birthday.

Rode down Haddon Avenue to the Westmont Diner for lunch. I got in as the lunch crowd swelled, but they were thankfully able to find a seat. Since it wasn't expensive, I went down-home with scrambled eggs and cheese, bacon, home fries, and biscuits and sausage gravy. Oh, yum. Soft biscuits, savory gravy, wonderfully fried potatoes with onions and peppers, and just-right crispy bacon and eggs topped with cheese. Very warm and filling on a gloomy day.

Made a quick stop at the Haddonfield Library after lunch. I really needed to use their bathroom. Explored their mystery section and books on film and theater upstairs for a little bit before counseling.

Counseling made me depressed more than anything. I'm not doing well at the moment. I don't know what I'll do in April after my rent goes up again. Mrs. Stahl doesn't really know much about the internet or what jobs are available online, and it's hard to explain to her how difficult it is to put myself out there. I know I should and I'm supposed to, but I look up jobs, see they require more experience than I have or want abilities I don't possess, and I don't do anything. Part of me desperately wants to be treated like an adult, but there's also the little girl in me who's terrified that she'll end up hurt and abandoned again.

She wants me to apply for a job online, any job. I'll see what I can find.

Wasn't really up to doing anything but going straight home after that. Though the rain had gentled to a soft mist by that point, it still wasn't appropriate to linger in. I figured I had enough of a treat in the big lunch anyway. Went home as quickly as I could down Haddon and Cuthbert, trying to avoid the beginnings of rush hour traffic.

As soon as I got home, I went online, canceled my Disney Plus and Amazon Prime memberships, and refunded the pants I ordered from Amazon two weeks ago that still haven't appeared. I only had Amazon Prime to get the pants and Sailor Moon quickly, anyway...and of course the pants, what I really needed, got lost. I bookmarked free streaming channels instead (I already have them on the Roku box), and I'll wear my jeans to work until I can find the cheapest khakis I can get away with.

Worked on some writing after that. Re-wrote the escape to stay in the garden. Malade blocks their entrance to the castle, forcing Orson to take them into the snowy side of the garden. She distracts the troll with fireballs. He runs into a tree, dislodging his riders. Brett and Richard are mad as heck, but Charles, who hates fire, is terrified...and Malade can see it...

Broke for dinner at 6:30. Had leftovers while watching Match Game. Louisa Moritz didn't do quite as well today, but then again, she wasn't the only one. Some of the other answers got pretty odd too. Best friends Charles and Brett have the habit of matching each other more than the contestants, and some of Fannie Flagg's answers are often more than a little odd.

Made key lime cookies from a cookie cookbook Lauren sent me a while back during Sale of the Century. The guy with the long hair and mustache didn't buy anything, but in the end, he just couldn't get past the one woman, even after she bought a TV and a nifty merry-go-round horse for her sons. She too opted to come back. Contestants did even better on Let's Make a Deal. The big deal of the day went to a cute skunk and her fiancee, who will be going to Rio on their honeymoon and watching a big-screen TV afterwards, with lots of spending money on the trip.

Finished the night with Hallelujah between Match Game premieres on YouTube. I go further into one of the earliest Hollywood films with an all-black cast at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.

Hallelujah (1929) 

No comments: