Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas

Merry Christmas, everybody! Thank goodness my Christmas Day went far better than it did last year. Mom called me just ten minutes after I woke up and wrote in my offline journal. She wished me a happy Christmas and told me Rose would deliver presents from the North Cape May side of the family as soon as she could. She said things got crazy last night but didn't elaborate, and I didn't ask. I'll ask Rose when I see her.

After Mom got off, I opened the present from Linda I had under the tree. Yes, she gave me another WebKinz, a handsome Clydesdale, and two WebKinz charms. He needed a Christmas name that wasn't too cutesy, so...meet Nicholas, our brave, strong-willed Clydesdale horse! No wonder Linda loves her Emily. I liked Nicholas so much, I brought him to Uncle Ken's house to show the family, and later to his daughter Samantha's to introduce him to her kids. Nicky will be Shadow's roommate in the Victorian Bed and Breakfast.

Uncle Ken, his girlfriend Dolores, and my stepsister Jessa were already downstairs when I arrived at quarter of 10. From the looks of the sea of wrapping paper and boxes, Jessa had already opened most of her presents. Her biggest present was a Wii (Nintendo's newest game system) and a couple of the more popular games. She was working on making Miis (little avatar-like people) when I came in.

Mark, Vanessa, and Brittany showed up about twenty minutes after I did. They gave me a bag filled with bath and body lotions and sprays. Jessa gave me the two-disc soundtrack to 2007 Hairspray and loved the socks I gave her, and Uncle Ken loved the Rachel Ray cookbook I found for him. I got money from Dad and Uncle Ken.

Jodie showed about a half-hour later. Poor woman said her teenage boys had accidentally locked her on the porch after the party last night, and she ended up sleeping there. She gave me Shrek the Third. I got some great photos of Jessa and Brittany playing Wii Sports. (I may have gotten some of Jodie and Vanessa trying their luck later, too.)

After Uncle Ken made us omlets and home fries for breakfast, Bruce, Jodie, Jessa, and I went to Samantha and David's house. (Mark, Vanessa, and Brittany went to visit friends.) Bruce and Jodie only stuck around for a little while, long enough to greet Samantha's mother (and Uncle Ken's ex-wife) Jane. (Now you know why Dolores and Uncle Ken came later.) Jane gave Jessa and I pretty scarves made of that nobby black and multi-colored fabric. Samantha and David gave me a plastic bell-shaped container of Ferrero Rocher hazelnut chocolates. They loved the big container of cookies I gave them, and the kids loved the mint-condition classic Golden Books I found at the thrift shop. (Dolores and Mark, Vanessa, and Brittany also received cookies from me. I made sure the latter one had no Oatmeal Chocolate Chips. Vanessa is allergic to chocolate.)

Bruce and Jodie had to go to a party an aunt of Jodie's was holding. Neither were very enthusiastic about it, and Jessa and I weren't eager to go, either, since we don't know Jodie's relatives that well. We finally opted to stay with Samantha and her family and play the new Star Wars Lego Wii game with her boys Matt (age 8) and Ethan (10) and their baby sister Faith (2) for the rest of the afternoon.

(I might end up getting a Wii just to get that Star Wars game. I never thought I'd say this about a Star Wars game, but it's soooooo funny! The expressions on the Legos, even the ones that are supposed to be scary like Darth Maul and the Emperor, are kind of cute. ;) )

Uncle Ken and Dolores arrived around 4. Samantha, David, and the kids opened their presents from them, then we all sat down for a delicious dinner. Samantha made candied sweet potatoes, creamed onions, peas, roasted red potatoes with rosemary, rolls, and a divine roast beef. Uncle Ken provided a delicious apple pie for dessert. After the pie, Matt, Ethan, Jess, and I played Mario Party 8 for a little while until it was time for Uncle Ken, Jess, Dolores, and I to go.

I'm so grateful for my family and friends, every last one of them. I still wish I could see them all in one place, or at least have more people visit mine, but I did end up having a wonderful holiday. Thanks again, everyone! :)

No comments: