Thursday, December 27, 2007

Silver Bells

Thankfully, the rain stopped early enough that I made it to Collingswood without getting wet. I browsed in the thrift shop for a little while, then took a look at the WebKinz at the Collingswood Variety Store, a dollar store/party store across from the thrift shop on Haddon Avenue. I bought a raccoon to go with the stuffed animal display on my baker's rack that represents the animals who live around me. I opted to name him after a bandit instead of just calling him "Bandit" or "Rascal"; his name is Sundance, as in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

(However, a warning to WebKinz fans. As disappointing as it may be for people who received WebKinz for Kwanzaa and Christmas gifts they haven't registered yet, don't try to get on tonight. Their main page is "temporarily unavailable," and I read may be down until 2AM.)

My chat with Scott was early this year. I told him about Christmas and being busy and the change in plans with going down south, and we discussed my goals for the year.

I am going to continue Weight Watchers. I've lost 42 pounds now, and I feel great.

I'd like to join a writing group, but it's a matter of finding one in this area I can get to that's at a good time. Most of these groups and clubs always seem to be when I work. Not to mention I really rather afraid of groups, and of meeting new people. I never know what to say when I'm around people.

I want to publish my work, if I can find a place to do so, get all the formatting done, and find the courage to send anything anywhere.

I have to e-mail Rowan about their children's library programs, and maybe Creative Writing too. I want to know if it's worth it to spend the money. I'm not going to waste money on more education I can't use because the job market is too competitive or full. I spent four years at Stockton that got me nowhere.

I'd like to do more volunteering. I want to teach children to enjoy reading and become involved in programs that discourage bullying, especially for girls. No child should have to go through what I did in the 80s and early 90s.

After counseling, I went into Philadelphia for my big shopping trip. I stopped at my favorite pizzeria a few blocks from the Locust Street/12th Street PATCO stop, Mama Angelina's, for a huge mushroom cheese steak. They make such good stuff! That cheese steak was sooo nice and hot, which I appreciated on a day that was still chilly, damp, and cloudy.

After that, I walked all over town, from Chestnut down to The Gallery Mall on Market Street. I picked up Laverne and Shirley: The Complete First Season on sale at the FYE on Broad Street, along with It's the Easter Beagle, Charlie Brown and Hello Kitty Becomes A Princess. The last named is five princess-oriented episodes of the cute and very funny 1987-1988 CBS Saturday morning series Hello Kitty's Furrie Tale Theater. Other than a few rather dated 80s references (Pee Wee Herman is mentioned in the "Sleeping Kitty" episode, and a few cartoons are parodies of very 80s movies like E.T and Crocodile Dundee), the fractured fairy tales and movie spoofs are still a lot of fun. "Cinderkitty" was my favorite; how many times will you hear Cinderella say she'd rather be a wide receiver than running around in a ball gown (or as a cheerleader)?

I finally found what I really wanted at the Suncoast Video in the Gallery Mall. I've been dying to get The Chronological Donald, Vol 3 Walt Disney Treasures set ever since it was announced back in March, but I couldn't find it ANYWHERE, and I didn't get it for Christmas. I didn't see it in Philly, either, until I found it at Suncoast. Suncoast is kind of like the geek's FYE, concentrating entirely on DVDs and movie-related merchandise. The one in the Hamilton Mall was always good to me. (I bought three of my MacDonald/Eddy videos from the Suncoast Video at the Hamilton Mall. That was the only place I could find them!) The Borders Express next-door was useful, too. I bought a cute striped journal (I'm half-way through my offline journal; I go through them rather quickly) and another British baking book, this one devoted mostly to popular cookies.

I had a very long but generally enjoyable walk this afternoon. I even took a shortcut through City Hall to get to the Market Street Shopping District. I love seeing the city all dolled up for the holidays, from wreaths on stores to colorful displays in windows to the huge tree in front of City Hall. I also passed a couple of nifty statues, including Gene Kelly and his umbrella in front of the Prince Street Theater and a giant clothespin across from City Hall.

I'm going to do Weight Watchers very quick and get offline. I'm tired as heck; I spent most of the day on my feet! Thank goodness I'm off tomorrow, too.

No comments: