Monday, September 29, 2008

Lack Of Balance

I did manage to make it to Yogawood this time for this week's yoga class. It was a really full one, too, with at least 15 women, not counting the teacher, Jill. It was a gorgeous day when I headed out, sunny and bright...but there were clouds on the horizon, and by the time class was finished, the day had turned gloomy. I ran some errands after that. Stopped at the thrift shop to say "hi" to Erica and and found four great books, three of which I'd had as a child. The House Without A Christmas Tree was the first Addie Mills story, based after the 1972 TV movie of the same name. I've always loved the Paddington stories, and I haven't read them since I was little, so I was thrilled to find Paddington Goes To Town. We picked up the picture book The Great Mouse Detective: Basil's Greatest Escapes after seeing the movie on it's first release in 1986.

My favorite find was Disney's Year Book 1983, an odd collection of kid-friendly articles related to the year in question (cats, puppets, video games) and short stories featuring Disney characters who existed at the time. I remembered it the moment I saw Donald Duck going wild over the Atari-style game on the front cover. We actually had several of these from about 1983 to 1985, along with several encyclopedia-style Wonderful World of Reading Disney hardbacks Mom got through mail-order.

I made a quick stop at Walgreens in Westmont after leaving Collingswood to see if they had this month's new batch of WCares Lil'Kinz. Not yet, but I did get myself the last St. Bernard. The rest of the pile was mostly Black Bears, with a few Cows. I did this week's library volunteering, just some quick DVD organizing, then went home for what I thought would be lunch.

Instead, I was called in. One of the customer service managers had called earlier to ask if I wanted to work from 3-7. I got in around quarter of 2 and called her back to see if it was still open. It was, so I ate a very quick lunch, threw together a very quick PB&J on home-made-whole-wheat bread dinner, quickly changed into my uniform, and hurried to work.

To be honest, I was tired when I got in, and I might have turned them down if I'd had more than 20 hours this week. I could understand why they needed the extra help; work was steady-to-busy, with long lines until about a half-hour before I left.

No comments: