Wednesday, September 03, 2008

New Woman

I went to pick up my soft-lens contacts after a steady-to-busy, generally problem-free work day. It was a bit of a pain to get them in (my eyes just wanted to blink blink blink), but the lady in charge of contacts was really helpful and nice. In any event, since my contacts are trial lenses and disposables, I'm going to have to go back after my vacation for a follow-up exam. It looks so good, though. So...different. I've NEVER had contacts. I always assumed I was too clumsy and impatient for them, and that my eyes were too bad.

I was so happy after I got my contacts. They don't mask my lazy eye, but I looked so...different. I haven't really seen myself without glasses during my waking hours since I was in third grade.

Since getting the contacts went well, I decided I had enough time (and money) to finally get my hair done, too. I rode up to West King's Highway in Haddon Heights (between Pine Street and Station Avenue) and stopped at Hair Event. Rose went there to get her hair done before she went to Costa Rica. She said they did a great job, and Rose has very long, thick hair that's a lot like mine, but less curly...and manageable. I had my hair layered, trimmed, and thinned, all of which I badly needed. I love my curly hair, but it gets so thick and frizzy, especially in this weather! It looked terrific when I got out, layered with spiral curls. I even left it down, something I seldom do in hot weather.

I received the ultimate compliment when I stopped by Desserts By Design, a bakery in Audubon, for a treat. The owner and head baker didn't recognize me...and not only do I visit her store fairly often, but she's a regular Acme customer!

For once in my life, I'm very happy right now.

3 comments:

Tina said...

That's wonderful, Emma.

Linda said...

You GO, girl! :-) Have Lauren take a pic of you with your contacts while you're on vacation (maybe at the Vermont country store!) and pass it on to us. You sound like you're doing so well. We'd love to see you!

Emma said...

Actually Linda, I just bought cameras today, and we usually take pictures of each other anyway. Maybe I will do that. ;)