Thursday, September 25, 2008

Trouble On the Express-Way

It was sunny when I went to the library for this week's volunteering session, but by the time I finished the children's DVDs and checked out the first Elizabeth Peters Vicky Bliss story in over a decade, The Laughter of Dead Kings, it had clouded over. I had a windy, chilly ride home and spent the rest of the afternoon reading and watching 30s musicals. I just finished one of Eleanor Powell's earliest vehicles, Born to Dance, and am working on one of her most popular, The Broadway Melody of 1940 with George Murphy and Fred Astaire.

It was still windy and gloomy when I headed to work around 2:30. Work was on-and-off steady and not really a problem...except for one incident around 5PM. I spent the night in the Express lane, which is 15 items or left. One woman customer had 17 items. I was fine with it (what's two items?), but the man behind her, who only had two items, had a total fit. He started yelling at her about having two items more than the sign said. She yelled some uncomplimentary things back. It got worse and worse and louder and louder, until I finally put my hands over my ears and said "Enough already!" I'd heard enough junk from people yesterday about that Coke sale. I wasn't up for it today, too. Why do people have to be babies over two items? It's JUST two items. If you're in a hurry, use another line or self-checkout...or, better yet, don't shop while in a hurry. Shop when you have time.

I cheered myself up after work with a treat of Edy's Pumpkin Ice Cream. Edy's was on sale this week, and their Pumpkin flavor is only on shelves between mid-September and Halloween, so I decided to take advantage and enjoy this year's indulgence. I've bought Edy's Pumpkin Ice Cream at least once a fall season since college. My friend Amanda and I first found it at the Acme in Mays Landing near Stockton. We loved it so much, we must have eaten the whole carton in less than two days. It really tastes like pumpkin pie, and it's sooo good.

Here's a little more about one of my favorite flavors:

Edy's Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream

It was finally raining by the time I got out of work...but not enough to prevent me from riding home. It's sure coming down now, though. I'm glad I didn't work late. I have errands to run tomorrow; if it rains, I'll just walk.

No comments: