Friday, January 28, 2011

"Dashing Through The Snow, On a Two-Wheeled Open Bike..."

Started today with work. The skies were just gray when I arrived at the Acme around 10AM. I dodged snow piles, went slow on ice, and was careful on the ramp into Oaklyn and going around that turn where the Black Horse Pike becomes Nicholson Road.

Work was very busy all day. It was also very annoying. Everyone was fussing over the snow! I don't know why. I think it's pretty, and a lot of fun. I guess it's because we're not used to getting a snow storm a week. People don't like things they aren't used to around here. And admittedly, I don't have to worry about kids being underfoot or tramping around in wet clothes, either. I was very glad that work went fast and my relief was on time.

I got my schedule earlier in the day. The good news is mostly earlier hours, including 2-6 on Sunday and Tuesday, Wednesday, and Saturday off again. (Which will once again work to my advantage; the National Weather Service is calling for a chance of snow and/or freezing rain on Tuesday night.)

The bad news is just as many hours as last week...which is to say, not enough of them. Plus, I'm stuck with that 4-9:30 shift on Thursday again.

Did my grocery shopping right after work. Took advantage of a couple of in-flyer-coupon sales to pick up Skippy's Peanut Butter for a $1 for 2 jars, 2 bottles of Wishbone Salad Dressings for $1.50 each (I got Light Italian and Red Wine Vinaigrette), and two boxes of I Can't Believe It's Not Butter sticks for $2.59 each. Picked up eggs, too, just to stock up ahead of snow panickers. Also grabbed granola bars, steak, ground chicken, grapefruit, oranges, apples, bananas, and bags of spinach and broccoli and cauliflower.

I cut across Audubon Park to avoid the traffic on the Black Horse Pike, so it took me a little longer to get home than it had getting to work. It was about ten after 4 by the time I arrived. I was tired of being cooped up inside, though. I put everything away, changed into a normal long-sleeved t-shirt and my boots, put my coat, scarf, and gloves back on, and went for a walk.

I had a great time. It had started snowing sometime during work. Not heavy snow, like the other night, but light and pretty. I walked across the path over the train tracks to Uncle Ken's to see if anyone was home. They were all inside, so I went back home and played in the park next-door and in my front yard.

Most of the snow in the park and on the train tracks were as pure and unmarked as if they were on some unexplored territory. The whole world looked new. As Lola put it, "everything is different and not the same,"...but unlike confused Lola, I thought it was a wonderful feeling. The sky was whitish-gray, like a rabbit's coat, and so soft, I felt like I could reach up and stroke it.

I ran as fast as I could. I threw snow up in the air and over my head. I admired a snowman someone else had already made. I made snow angels. I rolled down a hill...and when I stopped, I just lay in the snow, puffing and letting the flakes fall silently on my face. There was no sound, no other world. It was like it was just me and the snow.

When I finally got back in, I put my boots on the daisy welcome mat and hung my coat on a chair to dry, then did my taxes. My taxes usually take about 20 minutes to an hour to complete. I have no dependents, own no property, and prefer to eFile. My tax return was sent on it's way quickly. I'm not getting anything back from New Jersey, but I am getting something from the Federal Government. (And I did Direct Deposit, so I should get the money even faster.)

I'm looking forward to tomorrow. I want to go out and play in the snow again, but I do have some errands to run first, including trips to CVS and the bank and volunteering at the Oaklyn Library.

No comments: