Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Snow and Slush and Sleet, Oh My!

I think we had a little bit of everything today. I awoke to land of whiteness. I couldn't tell where the world began and the sky ended. Only the trees broke up the endless pearl landscape. It was eerie. Everything was muffled. It was like nothing existed but me and the trees.

I didn't get up until 9:30, and it was well after 1 before I decided to go for a walk and to volunteer at the Oaklyn Library. I spent the morning mucking around online and watching the Bowery Boys movie Smuggler's Cove. Terrence "Slip" Mahoney thinks he's inherited a large manor house on Long Island, and takes the other Bowery Boys to check it out. Not only was there a mistake and a far more prominent Terrence Mahoney really owns the house, but smugglers are using it for their base...and they don't like trespassers!

The weather had changed a great deal by the time I got out the door. The sky was a little grayer, though it retained a pearly sheen. The snow had changed into light rain, making the two inches of snow we'd gotten that morning sloppy and slushy...and perfect snow for making snowmen. I strolled along, kicking at puddles happily. I've wanted the chance to play in the snow all winter, but I've always been busy.

My delight came to an abrupt end when I arrived at the Oaklyn Library. It was dark inside, and there were no cars in the small parking lot. Yup, the Library had closed because of the two inches of snow we got last night. Well, I was disgusted, and I still am. The back roads were a little slushy, but the main roads were clear. It seemed completely ridiculous to close anything over two inches of snow that wasn't even really snow anymore. People around here really are wimps when it comes to the weather!

I continued my walk anyway. I went to WaWa and bought a Chai Tea (which wasn't as sweet as the last time I got chai at WaWa - this time, it was too watery) and a soft pretzel. I walked over the tracks and down to Doria's Deli. I chatted with Mr. Doria about the weather and bought a fat kosher pickle to go with my lunch.

When I got home, I decided to try making a snowman on my porch, where the snow was less messy. I made a cute little snow-bear, with round snow ears and a little tail. I'm glad he came out rather well. I can't remember the last time I made even a small snow-creature.

My boots were getting soaked, so I headed indoors. I spent the rest of the day amusing myself indoors. I had leftover turkey burgers and spinach for lunch. I tried to do a picture story of my American Girl dolls thinking of ways they could have fun on a snow/slush day, but my camera ran out of batteries. I made Lemon Squares. I watched another Bowery Boys movie, Loose In London, and the next set of Tales of the Gold Monkey episodes.

Naka Jima Kill was my favorite episode in this round. Sarah and Jake meet Whitney Bunting, an old college roommate of Sarah's who is now intends to interview the Japanese Defense Minister. Trouble is, she'll do anything to get that interview, including getting on the wrong side of Princess Koji and almost getting everyone killed. Kim Cattrall has a lot of fun as the Brenda Starr-style reporter here, and the crafty assassin who is a master of disguise is one of the show's best villains. I do feel very sorry for Corky here, though...

I also liked Boragora or Bust, where Jake's regular stomping grounds Boragora Island becomes a boom town when a grizzled old prospector finds a platinum mine in the mountains. Cooked Goose, where Jake has to rescue the kidnapped bride of a pilot and keep Corky from leaving after he lets the Goose burn while drunk, was enjoyable. Last Chance Louie, with Louie, the owner of the Monkey Bar and a kind of mentor to Jake, almost going under the guillotine, was a little too convulted and a bit morose for my taste.

I don't know when it started snowing again. All I know is that when I peeked outside before I took my shower around quarter after 8, the snow was coming down again...and much harder than this morning. Life came full circle as I once more gazed into a land that had become a soft, glistening pearl.

No comments: