Sunday, January 09, 2011

Running On Ice

I slept until almost 10 this morning, then spent an hour listening to the radio and writing in my journal. After I finally got out of bed, I made Apple Cinnamon Pancakes for breakfast while listening to Brunch With the Beatles. They weren't terribly exciting, though. The them today was the US-only The Beatles' Second Album, which was one of their earliest releases in this country. I'm not a big fan of most of the early Beatles music, when they still sounded pretty much like an ordinary boy band. After breakfast, I switched to the Danny Kaye musical A Song Is Born and called Mom.

Mom sounded a little tired, but otherwise fine. She'd spent the morning shoveling snow. Cape May County apparently got the same 6-8 inches we did this week. She was also getting ready for the big Eagles-Packers playoff game. Alas, I wasn't going to get to see it. I worked 3-7, which meant I'd be there for most of the 4:30-starting game.

I did some things around the apartment after that. Michael shoveled and salted my steps last night, but part of the porch leading to my door was still icy. I broke up the ice with my broom, swept what I could away, and salted the exposed porch.

After I finished that, I did the last budget of 2010. For once, I spent more on other stuff than food...but I did eat home a lot last month, and ate at someone's house both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Plus, I got Christmas money and a pile of gift cards.

It was very cold and windy when I headed off to work around quarter of 3. Once again, the streets weren't bad, but the sidewalks were. I was able to ride on the streets, but while I did walk my bike on the sidewalks on the Black Horse Pike, I had to tread carefully over the ice.

Work was a pain in the rear end. I had several customers who were obnoxious, rude, or just plain ignorant. One lady in particular got annoyed when the Acme generic bottle of cocktail sauce rang up a measly 20 cents more than she thought it was. Most people would have just shrugged and said "it's just 20 cents," but she actually had me chase after the price, which she SWORE said $1.69 and not $1.49 in the seafood section. Trouble is, I couldn't find the item anywhere in the seafood section. A seafood worker told me it was in the aisle with the ketchups...and so it was, under it's original price. She finally didn't take it. Either she found it in the wrong place, or it had a dated label. And whether she did or not, she could have just shrugged it off. 20 cents is nothing to fuss about.

I needed several items when I got done. My brown and white sugars needed to be refilled badly, and I really needed baking soda, too. That 2lb box of baking soda Rose bought me almost 6 years ago when I first moved to Oaklyn finally ran out. I bought a far more normal-sized 16oz box. I don't think the Acme even sells that 32oz box anymore. No one needs THAT much baking soda unless they're a professional baker or plumber.

Oh, and it's the end of the road for the Philadelphia Eagles. They lost to the Green Bay Packers 21-16. At least the Flyers are still going strong...

No comments: