Monday, January 17, 2011

The Snow Isn't Right

First of all, I salute the Man Who Had a Dream, Reverend Martin Luther King Jr., on this chilly weekend.

Today was laundry day. It was merely cloudy and cold when I headed over to the laundromat around 11AM. It was surprisingly quiet when I arrived, a pleasant surprise on a holiday. I just saw two older ladies, a college student, and Drew Carey doing Pricing Games on The Price Is Right. People didn't start showing up until long after the Showcase Showdown had ended and my dryer was just about done.

I ran more Woody cartoons while having an escarole, mushroom, and Parmesan cheese omelet for lunch. This next batch came from the late 40s and early 50s and is notable for introducing Woody's Oscar-nominated theme tune "The Woody Woodpecker Song" and for gradually replacing the dopey Swedish Wally Walrus with the nastier Buzz Buzzard. Stand-outs include Drooler's Delight (Woody keeps stealing his dime for the title ice cream soda back from Buzz) and The Woody Woodpecker Polka (ever wanted to see Woody in drag, dancing with Wally Walrus?).

Work wasn't nearly as much fun. We're supposed to be getting another inch or so of snow tonight, along with freezing rain and regular old rain in the morning...and everyone was panicking accordingly. People were giving me a hard time about prices, too. One lady fussed because I rang up her onion and she wanted the one that came up 20 cents, not 30. Lady, it's just a dime, and I had a line. Have some consideration for others when you're in a line, please! One thin dime won't break the bank.

When I rode home at 7:30, the sky was that pearly, snowy-gray. The snow held off until about 20 minutes ago, though. I don't see anything resembling rain yet - it's just very light and very pretty white stuff.

No comments: