Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Just a Little Bit of Snow

Started today with a run to the gym. At that point, around 11:30, it was partly cloudy and chilly but otherwise perfectly fine. I did the elliptical machine and worked on my arms. Whew! The elliptical machine works up quite a sweat, the most of the three running/biking apparatuses at Lucile Roberts. I was only on for 20 minutes with a resistance of 3, and I was sweating. When I finished, I did the arm-based weight machines, worked with weights, and stretched to cool down.

Since I was in the area, I stopped by the Acme on the way home. I needed milk badly. I also grabbed a copy of Entrepreneur Magazine to get some ideas about running businesses. They were busy, but no more or less so than on any other day. The forecast called for less than an inch of snow that wasn't really supposed to stick to the street.

Spent the rest of the afternoon at my apartment. I made Beef and Winter Vegetable Stew for an early dinner. I finally dusted the apartment, finishing this month's cleaning. I baked a Lemon-Coconut Chiffon Cake. I shelved the copy of Winnie the Pooh that came in the mail today.

Ran several cartoons and specials related to winter as I did my chores and baking. Frosty's Winter Wonderland is Rankin-Bass' follow-up to their original 1969 Frosty special; Frosty Returns is actually a very different Frosty story from 1992. Winter Wonderland, which tells how Frosty made himself a wife, is the better of the two. Returns has its own charms, though, including a really cute performance by John Goodman as the title snowman.

I dug through my cartoon sets for shorts relating to snow after the specials were done. I went with the Donald Duck classic Donald's Snow Fight, the Sylvester/Tweety vehicle Puddy Tat Trouble and the Bugs short Frigid Hare, and the Woody Woodpecker tales Pantry Panic and Ski For Two. I had just enough time after the cartoons ended to pull the cake out of the oven, grab my coat, and hurry out to work!

The rush may not have been necessary. Work was just barely busy when I arrived, stone-cold dead when I left. I spent the majority of the night shelving candy. Needless to say, there were no problems whatsoever.

It had been flurrying on and off since about 3PM. It was doing it when I went to work. By the time I got out, the snow had gotten much heavier. It was sticking to the grass (and to my porch), but the sidewalks and streets were just wet. I had a very quick and very pretty ride home.

No comments: