Friday, February 24, 2012

"Everybody Was Kung-Fu Fighting..."

I slept in a little this morning; didn't get to the gym until around quarter of 11. It was busy, but not too bad, and there were no classes going on. I had my best stationary bike session yet; was nice and sweaty when I finished. I really have to keep the resistance high on that one. It took me a bit longer to work on the machines for the legs and chest, since there were quite a few people in that area. I was able to stretch afterwards on the carpeted square stage used for classes afterwards.

Went to the Acme next. I've come to prefer doing my shopping and picking up my paycheck in the morning after a gym trip, rather than after work when I'm tired. Most of what I needed was a fruit, vegetable, and chicken restock - the Acme is having some pretty good chicken sales this week. The Acme is finally carrying Reynolds Parchment Paper, which means I was able to use the coupons I have from the boxes I bought at Super Fresh. Bought brown sugar, yogurt, mousse mix (on sale), and apple concentrate to replace items used for baking this week. I'll use wraps for at work meals until I can make bread.

When I got home, I put everything away, then ran Kung-Fu Panda while having leftovers for lunch and baking Orange-Chocolate Chip Brownies. Po (voice of Jack Black) is a laid-back, rolly-polly panda bear in ancient China who works with his crane father in their noodle shop. Po, however, wants to become a great martial artist like his heroes, the Fearsome Five. He gets his chance when a prophet turtle declares him to be the great Dragon Warrior. The Fearsome Five and their teacher are less than impressed with gentle Po's lack of skills, but while he has a great deal to learn, it turns out he has a few things to teach them, too...

I'm not a really big fan of most of Dreamworks' animated movies. I lost interest in the Shrek franchise ages ago, haven't bothered with Shark's Tale, still haven't gotten to The Road to El Dorado (though my brother loved it), and thought Sinbad was only so-so. I was impressed with How to Train Your Dragon, though, and this one is equally good. I love the "follow your heart - learn your own way" moral, and that no student has to be left behind if a teacher can find a way for them to learn. Jack Black has a lot of fun as Po, but I wish the much-touted "Fearsome Five" (including Angelina Jolie as tough Tigress) had more to do.

Work was slightly busier than yesterday and much shorter on help, thanks to call-outs. Otherwise, it was pretty much the same as the last two days, and should remain so. We're between holidays again. Things will likely pick up a bit this week as we go into the beginning of the month, but once we get past that, there isn't another really major event until the Easter and Jewish spring holidays kick in.

Actually, the worst problem we're having has absolutely nothing to do with customers. They're still remodeling the back room, and now I'm hearing they won't be done until the end of next week! Ugh. Where are we supposed to eat? The cafe between the deli and the bakery is for customers. And where am I going to put my bike?

Oh, and my schedule's much better. Though I once again only have one day off, that means my hours can be more spread-out, with nothing later than 8:30.

No comments: