Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Farewell to the Daydream Believer

This is a tough one for me to write. I would have done it earlier, after I found out, but I didn't know what to say.

Davy Jones of the Monkees Dead at 66

He wasn't my favorite Monkee (that's Micky Dolenz), but he sang my favorite Monkees song. I'm not as big of a Monkees fan as I used to be...but that doesn't mean this isn't still a shock.

The day generally went pretty well before I went online and saw that sad announcement in my e-mail box. It was only sprinkling when I rode my bike to work around  10AM. Now I'm glad I did take that extra hour. It started raining harder about an hour later, and wouldn't let up until late afternoon.

Probably thanks to the weather and the end of the month, work was mostly quiet all day, and never more than mildly steady at rush hour. Once again, the worst problems had to do with the remodeling. Now they're working on the women's bathroom, which means yes, we still have a unisex bathroom, and we still have to lock it. They're redoing the walls on the break room, so we still can't use that, either. I parked my bike back in where they keep the large cleaning supplies.

I got incredibly lucky with the weather. By the time a manager came in for me at 5PM, the rain had calmed back into sprinkles. I was perfectly dry when I rode over to Lucile Roberts. They were very busy; I had to make my way through a large crowd waiting for the 5:30 kickboxing class so I could change in the bathroom. I did the elliptical machine today, but given that my ankle is still sore from Saturday and the weather hasn't been kind to my knee either, that may not have been the best idea. I did better with working on my arms on the machines and with hand weights.

I briefly debated eating out, but I have plenty of leftovers at my place. I went home and watched Tales of the Gold Monkey instead. In "Black Pearl", Jake and Corky deliver an American scientist to Boragora. On the way there, Jake rescues a native afloat at sea, carrying a canister and dying of unusual burns. Sarah thinks there may be a connection between the scientist, the canister, and the natives. Meanwhile, a group of Nazis are creating a huge atom bomb seven years early on another island. When Sarah drugs the scientist, Jake takes his place, while she and Corky follow to keep tabs on him and the natives who have been enslaved by the Nazis.

For the rest of you, I hope you enjoyed your extra "leap" day in February.

No comments: