Sunday, December 01, 2013

Battle of the Birds

Began a sunny, breezy day with Brunch With the Beatles. One of my favorite Beatles records, dubbed The White Album because of its' plain white cover, was in the spotlight. Some of the group's best music came out even as their working relationship was fracturing, including "Revolution," "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da," "Blackbird," "Julia," "Helter Skelter," "Dear Prudence," and "Green Tangerine."

I called Mom before I even made breakfast. We mainly talked about the upcoming Christmas holidays. Mom said that not doing the present exchange was mainly Rose and Anny's idea, and she wasn't entirely happy with it. While we're both sympathetic to their current financial situations, not everyone in the family have kids to concentrate on. The holidays aren't just for children. They're for everyone. Mom's also worried about her own financial situation, and trying to keep her mind off of being a true empty nest mother for the first time in 34 years.

I have some of the same problems. While my finances are less precarious than they were at this time last year, I still don't have a ton of money. I love Christmas, but the holiday's emphasis on family can get me a little down. Big holidays aren't easy for singles with no kids or other halves. I'm working on ideas for things I can do that'll put me in the spirit and get me out and about.

We talked for so long, it was 11:30 before I started making Banana-Coconut Pancakes for breakfast, and nearly 1 before I began dusting the living room. I always do a thorough dusting before I put up the Christmas decorations, going under books and DVDs I normally just dust around. Other than that one dark, windowless corner where the VCR and TV are that always attracts dust like crazy, it wasn't too bad. I just dusted a couple of weeks ago.

I listened to the Eagles-Cardinals game as I dusted. This is a big game for both teams, who are chasing hopes of making it to the playoffs. The Eagles scored moments after the game began and dominated the first half. They were up 17-7 when I left.

Work was very busy for most of the night. Not only is it the beginning of the month, but the Acme's having a lot of sales. There's the triple coupons this weekend (that continues to attract those annoying people with 500 coupons for five items that holds up the line), and anyone who came in an Eagles jersey today got 10 % off their order. It did finally slow down enough by 6:30 for me to leave with no relief and no complaints. When I got home, I had a spinach-mushroom omelet for dinner, finished the dusting in the entertainment area, then hit the shower.

Oh, and while the Eagles faltered in the second half, they did finally hold off the Cardinals by the skin of their beaks, 24-21.

No comments: