Sunday, December 29, 2013

Come Together

Started a gloomy, rainy morning with the last Brunch With the Beatles of 2013. In addition to George's "Ring Out the Old, Ring In the New," they always finish the year with "A Decade of #1 Hits." Among the Beatles songs heard that made it to the top in the US were "She Loves You," "We Can Work It Out," "A Hard Day's Night," "Yesterday," "Penny Lane," "Something," "Come Together," "Let It Be," and "The Long and Winding Road."

Called Mom around 11:30. She was in a good mood, having spent a fun evening with her grandsons. 5-year-old Collyn rarely sleeps over, but he seemed to have fun. She was going to spend a rainy day at home, baking. She was very happy to have spent Christmas Day with us and had nothing but praise for my home and Rose's and how well everything went.

It was still pouring, even after I called Mom. There was no way around it. I had to call for a ride to work. I tried for Rose, but she wasn't in. I then went for Jodie. She was going into Philadelphia with her sons, but said Jessa could give me a ride. I spent the remaining 40 minutes or so listening to my soft rock CD set and reading.

Work was mildly steady, surprising for a Sunday with a huge Eagles-Cowboys game. The rain and the game being moved to 8:30 likely kept a lot of people at home. It was so quiet and we had so much help, I spent the last hour shelving candy. There were no major problems, and I got out with no fuss. It was wet but no longer raining when I got out; Jessa still drove me home.

I listened to the rest of the soft rock CD as I made a mushroom and cheese omelet for dinner, then switched to Barbara Cook's The Disney Album as I climbed into a short but much-needed bath. I read a couple of American Girl book set in the week between Christmas and New Year's, or on or directly after New Year's. Happy New Year, Julie! has the groovy 70s girl frustrated with her divorced parents not being together during Christmas and her teenage sister's anger with her father. Her best friend Ivy invites her to her family's Chinese New Year's celebration. Julie hopes her family will be able to get along...and learns about good fortune and new beginnings.

Civil War-era girl Addy also faces family separation in Changes for Addy. She and her family are still trying to find their aunt, uncle, and baby sister, who fled the plantation where they were slaves after the war ended. Addy now lacks the support of her best friend Sarah as well. Sarah has had to leave school and work to help her family. When her family does make it to Philadelphia, it isn't quite the happy reunion that she'd hoped for. Reading the Emaciation Proclamation on New Year's Eve at her local church gives her courage and reminds her that even though some of them are only there in spirit, she and her family are still free.

Ruthie Smithens loves fairy tales, fantasy, and princesses...things that are all in short supply in Great Depression-era Cincinnati. When her best friend Kit's family faces foreclosure if they don't get money fast, Ruthie proves that she can be Really, Truly Ruthie and provide a happy ending by going to Kit's Aunt Millie in the Appalachians and getting the money herself.

After I got out of the bath, I went right online to watch the Eagles-Cowboys game. Right now, the score is 17-13 in the beginning of the second half, but the teams are pretty evenly-matched, and it really could be anyone's game. I really hope the Eagles win. If they win, they'll go onto the playoffs and play the Saints next week.

No comments: