Sunday, September 07, 2014

It's Eagles Time!

I overslept and was almost late to work. I was in such a hurry, I didn't even have the time for pancakes! Work wasn't bad when I came in, but it reached a fever pitch later when people started coming out of church and into the store to get ready for the first Eagles game of the season. Thankfully, it slowed down enough by 2PM for me to just get off on time with no relief.

When I got home, I changed into regular clothes (including my Eagles t-shirt) and rode over to Dad's to watch the game. If what little I saw in the employee room at the Acme was any indication, it wasn't going well. It was just going into half-time when I arrived to find Vanessa on the porch and Mark and Dad yelling at the game. The Eagles were down to the Jaguars 17-0 at that point - a team they were predicted to beat easily. Dad wasn't happy that the Dolphins were losing to the Patriots, either. Dad just got out of surgery for a herniated back and wasn't really up to a party, plus Jodie's on a work trip to Syracuse. I did eat macaroni salad with Dad and Mark during half-time, but I went home as the game started again.

For once, I heard the right half of the game. The moment I got in and turned on the radio, the Eagles scored a touchdown. From there on, it seemed they could do nothing wrong and the Jaguars could do nothing right. Nick Foles finally plowed right past their defense as I made a nice, simple Lemon-Rosemary Cake for a snack. The cake was going in the oven as the Eagles burst past the Jaguars in a huge comeback, 34-17.

(And Dad turned out to be wrong about his Dolphins, too. They also made a comeback in the second half and ran over Tom Brady and the Patriots 33-20.)

I celebrated with a nice, long bath as I listened to jazz. It felt so good after the long morning at work. After I got out, I listened to Queen's Greatest Hits while finally getting to the Spiced Peaches and Plums Pancakes I wanted to make for breakfast. I figured "We Will Rock You" and "We are the Champions" were appropriate after that crazy game. ; )

No comments: