Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Record Bonanza

First of all, congratulations to my younger sister Anny and her fiancee J.J! They just learned that their child is going to be a girl, the first girl any of my siblings have had. Everyone is excited. I'll finally have a niece, and Anny will have the little girl she's always wanted.

Second, I started a gloomy, cool, humid morning with some Bowery Boys. Sach and Slip think they've bumped into a windfall when they find $50,000 in a rolled-up newspaper. The cash turns out to be Jinx Money when a group of gangsters come after the dough...and they're killed one by one by a person holding an umbrella that only Sach seems to see.

My first day back at work was pretty typical. It was steady to quiet for most of the afternoon. There were no major problems, and my relief was right on time. I grabbed milk and multi-grain bread from the bakery and hurried out.

When I got home, I changed into regular clothes, put the milk and bread away, had a quick dinner of leftovers, and went back out again. My stepsister Jessa and her boyfriend Joe picked me up around 5 PM for another thrift shop/Goodwill trip.

This time, we drove about 20 minutes, dodging rush-hour traffic to hit the large Goodwill in Maple Shade. From there, we went to a thrift shop a few minutes away, Shade Thrift. We went past the Moorestown Mall and back to Cherry Hill to finish the night at the Cherry Hill Goodwill. The Goodwills had lots of Halloween stuff out. All three stores had tons of records; Shade Thrift had a small room that was nothing but records and videos. (And for some reason, the Maple Shade Goodwill had a lot of Russian videos and DVDs.)

I had my best haul in ages! I ended up with:

The soundtracks for Pete's Dragon and Raggedy Ann and Andy: A Musical Adventure

The original Broadway cast albums for She Loves Me, Half a Sixpence, I Do I Do!, Here's Love, Oh Captain!, the 1960s revival of Oh Kay!, the 1950s revival of The Threepenny Opera, and Promises, Promises

The original British cast albums for the 80s revival of Me and My Girl and Tommy Steele's stage version of Singin' In the Rain

Paperback "storybook" versions of The Great Muppet Caper and the 1982 film version of Annie

A Halloween costume! A red nylon dress with a floaty skirt and top trimmed in black lace and bows, with a wide-brimmed hat. The skirt is tight around the waist but passable; the top just doesn't work over my bosom. I think I can get away with tucking it in around my waist to make it look more like a Victorian skirt, which is kind of what I was going for. Either that, or a princess.

Thankfully, the heavy rain they'd been predicting all day held off until just about an hour ago. I hope it'll slow down by morning. I'm not going to be able to get a ride; everyone's working.

No comments: