Sunday, May 24, 2015

Beautiful Day for a Barbecue

I began today with some rousing American music for Memorial Day Weekend, Disney style. Yankee Doodle Mickey is a collection of various patriotic music performed by the Disneyland Chorus, the Disney Characters, and a very young Molly Ringwauld. Some of the numbers are kind of fun. I like "The Liberty Tree" for the chorus, Ringwauld's exuberant "This Is My Country," and the medley devoted to different branches of the Armed Services. Mickey covers the Air Force and the Marines, Goofy gets the Army, and Donald naturally sings for the Navy.

As you can imagine, work was crazy for most of the afternoon. A beautiful (if somewhat warmer) day coupled with this being a Sunday and the day before a major holiday added up to very long lines. There were a lot of people who were in a hurry, and rather obnoxious about it, too. I wish people would learn to have some patience. I was grateful when it slowed down enough by 4 PM for me to leave without a relief.

Jodie came through my line early in the afternoon and told me she and Dad were having a barbecue. Sounded good to me. I was too tired to cook by that point, anyway. I went home, got changed, and went back on the bike to Dad and Jodie's.

There was actually a pretty decent crowd at their house when I arrived. Dad just opened the pool last week. Khai already had to go swimming, despite it being too cold for most people...and Rose had to go in with him. They'd just gotten out. I did stick my legs in, but...brrr! It was chilly. My feet were still cold for ages afterwards.

I wandered between groups. I built Lego houses and buildings with Khai and Rose. I received congradulations for my being employee of the month from Jodie's relatives. I talked to T.J (he's recovered physically, but he still has trouble remembering what happened), Jesse, and Dana. I watched Romancing the Stone with Dad, Jessa, and Joe.

We had a delicious dinner. Jodie made the buy one, get two ribs from the Acme. They were as tender as ever. We had grilled asparagus with garlic, potato salad, macaroni salad, and Caeser salad. I had everything but the potato salad. (I've never been a fan of potato salad.) We had a strawberry torte with a flag design on the top for dessert. I headed home around quarter of 7, when I'd finally gotten bored and too tired to hang around.

No comments: