Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Florida Girl On a Sunny Day

First of all, American Girl officially announced their newest historical character this week. Meet Maryellen Larkin, a 9-year-old living in Florida in 1954. Apparently, she wants to do something that'll make her stand out, no easy feat in a large family or an era that encourages conformity. She also dreams of a white Christmas, despite being a Florida gal. I can't wait! I'm not interested in the doll itself - I already have a red-head in my collection (Felicity) - but I'd love to get her wardrobe for my designated mid-20th-century AG Whitney, and her books sound like a lot of fun.

 Maryellen Larkin! (And thanks to the AG doll blog Lissie&Lilly for the good news!) 

My early work shift was on-and-off busy. There were some cranky people, and a few who wouldn't help bag. Otherwise, it was pretty normal for a lovely day in mid-May. Another college boy did have to come in for me so I could get out on time - the one scheduled to come in for me was late.

When I got home, I spent an hour or so doing some work on my fanfiction. The play continues, but there's still treachery afoot. The man who is supposedly there to make sure the play goes as planned is really working for someone else...someone else who is after the Inn and its residents. Then another little fellow turns up, determined to serve papers to Hilary and Jeff and to find the Crimson Blade for his employer...

It was too nice to be inside all evening. It was an absolutely gorgeous day. It was barely in the 70's, with a cool breeze and no humidity whatsoever. I stopped at WaWa for money, a pretzel, and a drink, then dodged the dinner rush hour traffic on the White Horse Pike and Cuthbert Road on my way to the Westmont Farm Market.

The Westmont Farm Market is held on the corner of Haddon Avenue and Stratford Avenue, across from Primo's Water Ice. It's only one block and lacks Collingswood's variety and selection, especially this early in the season. They were mostly food booths or selling flowers and herbs. Still, they were packed to the gills at quarter of 6. While I didn't see carrots or mushrooms, I did pick up some unusual organic red scallions and the first strawberries and snap peas of the year. I had a crab cake sandwich from the Cape May Crab Cake Company truck for dinner. Cape May crab cakes are baked or cooked in a pan rather than fried, they're not breaded, and they don't have bread crumbs in them. My crab cake was huge, soft, a little messy, and absolutely amazing. I haven't had a real crab cake in ages.

Went straight home after I left, this time cutting across Collingswood to avoid the traffic on Cuthbert. I had some peas and strawberries as soon as I got in. Oh wow. The strawberries are incredible. I've never had such sweet, succulent strawberries. The peas are so crisp and fresh.

Ran a quick Three Stooges short as I got organized. They're saying "Wee Wee Monsieur" when they inadvertently join the Foreign Legion to escape their landlord. They get into trouble when their captain is kidnapped by a scheming sultan on their watch. Now they have to figure out how to get their captain away, without ending up in front of a firing squad!

No comments: