Friday, May 22, 2015

In the Spring Sunshine

Started a beautiful, sunny day with more wartime shorts. Despite his popularity during World War II, Woody Woodpecker only did one war-themed cartoon, "Ace In the Hole." Woody wants to be a pilot, but he ends up shaving horses instead. His sergeant isn't that happy when he does finally get in the air!

Walter Lanz had more luck with non-character war-themed shorts. Woody (and Andy Panda) did have cameos in the musical short "$21 A Day (Once A Month)," on toys in the peacetime draft. "Hysterical Highspots In American History" spoofs the history of the US up to 1940, with jokes about Columbus discovering a movie theater and two spinsters who want men in uniform from any era. "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy of Company B" depicts what happens in an African-American pre-war Army corps when their new bugler turns out to be a former jazz trumpeter. (The stereotypes fly fast and furious in this one, but there's a really swinging version of the title song, and this is one of the few cartoons I've ever seen that showed minorities in the military.) "Pigeon Patrol" is sort of an avian version of "The Draft Horse" with a happier ending. Country bumpkin Homer is too scrawny to be a carrier pigeon. He gets his big chance when he has to help a downed bird get his message across enemy lines.

Work was on-and-off busy all day, pretty much the same it's been all week. I did get a check at the door. One of the managers told me I got a 4 on a survey. I wish I knew who did that, so I could apologize for upsetting them. I don't want to cause any trouble with anyone.

My schedule next week is very, very busy. In annoying news, only one day off (Wednesday) and an early day on Tuesday. I don't have Memorial Day off, but it's only 11 to 3, which could be a lot worse. Otherwise, nothing later than 6.

I didn't need to do a lot of grocery shopping, either. It was mostly just some restocking - brown sugar, bananas, milk, cereal (Quaker cereals are on a $1.88 sale - went with Brown Sugar Oatmeal Squares). I grabbed organic canned diced tomatoes and one more of those Spring Velvets cake mixes off the clearance rack. My cake fell apart last night - I decided to cover it with Cool Whip. Blueberries and cherries were on good Memorial Day Weekend sales.

When I got home, I had leftover salmon, lettuce, and steamed snap peas for dinner while watching another first season Wonder Woman episode. "Wonder Woman In Hollywood" takes Diana Price to the heart of Tinseltown, where Steve Trevor is working on a movie about the exploits of four heroic officers to boost morale. That tinsel loses its shine quickly when the officers start disappearing, and Diana's teenage sister Drusilla discovers that one of them isn't as brave as he claims. Wonder Woman and Wonder Girl have to race against time to keep the Nazis from getting the officers out of the country.

It was such a gorgeous day, I decided to go for a walk to WaWa. I wanted a treat, and I needed to use the ATM machine. Everything is in full bloom here now. The trees are full and fat and green. Irises, azaleas, roses, pansies, and carnations brighten every garden. The pollen wave that's been such a pain has finally begun to subside, helped by the recent wet weather. It couldn't have been more than the upper 60's-lower 70's. It was windy, and the wind was chilly, but the warm air felt nice.

WaWa was hectic with people coming home from work when I came in. I got my money and ordered a Peach Cream Smoothie. Oh, yum yum. Sweet and peachy. It hit the spot. I wanted something a little lighter than all the chocolate I've been eating lately. I strolled home down Manor Ave, watching the kids chase each other and ride their bikes, and people walk their dogs and their children.

No comments: