Friday, May 08, 2015

Take a Writer's Step

I began another hot, sunny morning with breakfast and two late fourth season episodes of Remember WENN. "Past Tense, Future Imperfect" takes us back to the first season as Betty recounts her first real working day at WENN to Maple and Scott. Victor's habitual "grandiloquence" gets the better of Betty when she misunderstands his long words and thinks he's after her.

"The Sunset Also Rises" isn't as much fun. This is another "Gertie writes a script" movie spoof. Gertie's writing for a TV contest this time. Her script parodies Sunset Boulevard, but the bizarre tale of a fading diva (Hilary) who seduces a writer (Scott) into creating one last show for her doesn't really fit this particular sitcom well.

I spent the rest of the morning working on my story. We're now at Pittsburgh Village's market place, which has been attacked by drunk pirates wrecking havoc. Several of the pirates, including Captain Pavla DeVile, have taken Hilary to her ship. Scott and Mackie are trying to duke it out with the others, while Betty, Eugenia, and Mr. Foley hide and figure out what to do next. Help is on the way, though, from a very female, very red-headed Crimson Blade.

Work was busy when I came in this morning, but it cleared out as early as 2 PM. It was just barely steady when one of the college girls came in for me. It was so quiet, at one point, I did returns for a while.

Mixed feelings on my schedule this week. In good news, I have more hours and once again, no late hours - the latest I work will be 5. Unfortunately, working early next Saturday will mean I'll have to miss the Farm Market, and I have to wait until Wednesday for my next day off (but I do have Wednesday and Thursday).

I really didn't have much grocery shopping to do. Most of it was restocking - apples, grapefruit, cooking spray, cereal (went with the Acme generic Multi-Grain Cheerios), brown, white, and powdered sugar (the Domino's 5 pound bag was on sale for $2.29), milk, tangelos, plus soap and bubble bath from the dollar shelves. Perdue chicken was 50 % off this week; I bought breasts and ground chicken.

When I got home, I ran a few episodes of Get Smart while I changed and put away the groceries. "Viva Smart" takes us south of the border as Max and 99 pose as flamenco dancers in order to save the imprisoned president of a South American country. Max has to do some quick thinking to keep them away from the firing squad! "The King Lives?" in a take-off on The Prisoner of Zenda. Max is the exact double of the ruler of a small European country. When the king's brother tries to kill him, Max takes his place in order for him to keep the throne.

I was tired of sitting in the house all day. I needed to get out and enjoy a nice night. I took my bike to the Legacy Diner for dinner. Needless to say, given it was 6 PM on a Friday night, they were pretty busy, but I did get a seat. I opted for the cheddar and broccoli omelet and home fries. I would have been happier if they hadn't burnt my whole wheat toast and if the home fries were a lot less dry. At least the omelet wasn't too bad.

When I got home, I ran one more TV show episode as I got settled in. The Monkees had fun with royalty and swashbuckling in two first season episodes, including the very first episode of the series, "Royal Flush." When Davy rescues a princess from drowning, he gets himself and the guys into hot water when it turns out her guardians want to make sure she doesn't take the throne.

No comments: