Friday, March 25, 2016

Kind of Good Friday

Started the morning with breakfast and some more Easter-themed Looney Tunes. Daffy Duck's Easter Egg-citement is one of the few all-original prime time Tunes specials. An animator bedevils Daffy in a springtime variation on "Duck Amuck" as he introduces three holiday shorts. The first one has Sylvester and Daffy chasing after a golden egg. In the second, Daffy is a security guard who has to contend with Speedy Gonzoles, who is trying to steal chocolate bunnies for the kids of his village. The third story is far simpler, as Daffy tries to find way to get north without flying.

Spent the rest of the morning working on writing. Luke has saddled up to ride with the other members of the Rebels to attack the dragons. Meanwhile, Leia is helping to evacuate the camp, heal the wounded, and give the men their assignments. Vader and Tarkin are both going with the Army to see what they hope to be the end of the Rebels. Vader will fly with the dragons himself...for he is part-demon, and they can fly.

Charlie showed up with his parents and my landlords Willa and Richard around 12:30. They were looking at the recent repairs in the household, checking the trap for that raccoon on the porch (we haven't caught him yet, but I haven't heard anything in the walls in the last few nights, either), and taking a gander at the damage the mice I had last year caused in the back room. Richard said he'd come back and fix the insulation after I left. (It's too dark back there right now to be able to tell if he did or didn't.)

Ran some episodes of The Yogi Bear Show while I ate lunch really quick and got ready for work. Yogi is "A Wooin' Bruin" when a stunt bear competes with him for Cindy's affections. They keep stealing more and more outrageous gifts for her. "Spring Has Hit a Snag" for everyone's favorite dramatic pink lion when the pretty lioness he invites into his home for the season proves to be more of a pest than a guest. Yakky Doodle is bought as an "Easter Duck" for an old lady's granddaughter. A cat thinks Yakky's his holiday dinner, but when the old lady says no, he has to defend him against a larger cat instead.

As you can imagine on Good Friday, work was busy for most of the afternoon. We didn't have nearly enough help to deal with it all, either. I got stuck working in the register the whole time. Thankfully, it died enough by 6 that I was able to shut down without a relief.

I'm not thrilled with my schedule again. In good news, I finally have two days off for the first time in nearly a month. In not-so-good news, the hours I do have are often very early, the first of those two days off isn't until Wednesday, and I'm working on Easter for the second year in a row. At least seven people from the front end alone went on vacation this week. This is driving me crazy. I actually considered going on vacation in March briefly back in February when I was contemplating when to take my last week. Now I'm really glad I decided to go around my birthday next month instead. I don't know why they can't have certain people go on certain weeks, and if you don't sign up for the weeks two weeks or more ahead of time, unless it's an emergency, tough for you. They must stop letting everyone go at once! It's unprofessional and isn't fair to the ten people who get stuck doing all the work. Just because you've worked somewhere for a long time doesn't automatically mean you get whatever you want.

I had a ton of grocery shopping to do this week, too. Part of the reason for those crowds was we're having a big 3-day sale. I bought a nice little turkey ham and two sweet potatoes to have for Easter dinner (if I don't end up eating over someone's house). Even though they weren't on that good of a sale, they were still cheaper than eating out on Easter was last year. I also had a major pantry restock to do - evaporated skim milk, tomato sauce, laundry detergent, brown rice, chocolate chips, parchment paper, relish, I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, canned chicken, mandarin oranges, coconut, peanut butter, and chai tea. Needed apples, grapefruit, mushrooms, and bananas as well.

When I got home, I put everything away, then had leftovers for dinner while watching Yogi the Easter Bear. Yogi's not feeling smarter than the average bear when he eats all the candy for Jellystone's Easter Jamboree and Ranger Smith threatens to send him to Siberia. He and Boo Boo travel across Jellystone to find the Easter Bunny and save him from two bizarre villains who want to replace his eggs with their plastic ones.

1 comment:

Linda said...

Sorry to say, seniority counts in any profession, even white collar office work. The folks that have been there the longest are going to get the most perks. It's something you get for putting up with the nonsense for all those years.