Tuesday, March 29, 2016

All In the Golden Afternoon

Began today with my second of three early work shifts this week. Once again...it was really boring. I did have to take a register for the first hour, because there was only one other cashier at that point. I spent the rest of a sunny, windy day rounding up carts, doing returns, and pulling out boxes of plastic bags to put in the registers.

The good thing about going in early is you get out early. I was at home and eating lunch by 1:30. Ran a random first season episode of The Monkees as I enjoyed banana muffins and an apple. Davy wants to ask out a girl whose military father is very strict. He won't allow his daughter to attend any party without adult supervision. Micky Dolenz ends up playing "The Chaperone" for his best friend...and avoiding the girl's amorous father.

Headed out to do the laundry about an hour later. There wasn't a ton to do, but it needed to be done, including my work clothes. They were fairly busy when I arrived. I spent the hour working on story notes and half-listening to two women discover they had a lot in common. By the time I was done, so was everything else. The place was empty when I left.

Spent the next couple of hours working on my fanfic. Luke discovers that the head of the Sith Dragons is hurt - he has an arrow in his wing. The kind-hearted boy agrees to take it out if he doesn't eat him. It turns out the Dragons never wanted to be used as death machines, but the Empire drove them out of their homes and starved them until they did their bidding. Luke convinces the creature to help them clear the Empire out of the Enchanted Woods.

Ran Disney's animated version of Alice In Wonderland while eating leftover turkey ham and sauteed spinach and mushrooms for dinner. After she falls down a rabbit's hole, little Alice finds herself in a fantastic world, where dodos hold Caucus Races, Hatters and Hares attend wild tea parties and slap butter in watches, and one changes size at a moment's notice. All Alice wants to do is find out what that White Rabbit is up to and go home, but the bossy Queen of Hearts may not let her keep her head long enough to make it.

This is one of my favorite Disney movies. So it's bizarre and odd and has no real plot. So's the books it's based after. I just love seeing how Disney interpreted two of the great works of fantasy literature. This colorful series of skits isn't for people looking for a linear plot, but if you love Alice or creative fantasy, this one is actually pretty cute.

No comments: