Thursday, March 24, 2016

A Night At the Ballet, A Day at the Library

Started today off with breakfast and some Max & Ruby. "Max's Chocolate Chicken" is the prize at Max and Ruby's egg hunt. Ruby may find the most eggs, but that doesn't mean she'll get the chicken! "Ruby's Beauty Shop" is open for business when Louise brings over her deluxe makeup and hair kit. Max is their reluctant first customer. He far prefers their hair dye in crazy colors to wigs and eye shadow. "Max Drives Away" when Ruby wants him to eat breakfast. Grandma has a far more interesting option to start their day.

This time, I started out with library volunteering. It was a nice day to be out and about, sunny and warm, if windy and not quite as hot as yesterday. Goes without saying that the Oaklyn Library was very quiet. It was just me, the librarian, and one annoying guy who is always there. He tries to start political talks with people when his nose isn't in a newspaper. I find politics either annoying or boring or both. I organized DVDs quickly, then hurried out.

Hit Phillies Phatties for a quick lunch. It was such a beautiful day, I took my slice of cheese and slice of mushroom pizza and can of Diet Pepsi out to the picnic tables on the sidewalk to eat. Though it was nearly 12:30 at that point, West Clinton Avenue was quiet. Studio LuLoo was open, but I didn't have the time for them if I wanted to get writing in, too.

I did continue my story when I got home. Han's saddling Chewie to retrieve the Falcon and bring his reward to pay off Jabba. As in the original film, Luke's not happy about it. He's joined the Rebels and expected Han to as well. Han does wish him luck, even if he thinks he and the Rebels are crazy for going up against dragons. Leia tries to reassure Luke that all will be well, even though he misses Ben badly.

Ran one more Max & Ruby episode while getting ready for work. Ruby wants to "Camp Out" with Max on a hot day. He'd rather his toys slept in the tent his sister prepared than them!

Work was on and off busy all afternoon. I spent a lot of time in the registers, really more than I would have liked. I did do some returns and got out to do carts, but by that point, it was slowing down. Thankfully, it slowed enough by 6 that I was able to leave without a fuss.

When I got home, I made baked lobster cakes and roasted Brussels sprouts for dinner, then made brownies while watching Brain Donors. The title characters are a shyster lawyer (John Tuturro), a smart-mouthed cab driver (Mel Smith), and a house boy who get involved with a rich older woman who wants to start a dance company. They're friendly with a ballerina and her boyfriend who're looking for their big break, but their antics incur the wrath of the egotistical star male ballerina and the older lady's supercilious family lawyer. Now they have to find a way to get the kids into the show, without everyone ending up back in jail.

Underrated lunacy from the team that also wrote the Airplane! and Naked Gun movies. If you're a fan of the Marx Brothers films or similar comedies that have a team of nuts helping out lovers in a thin plot, you'll find this just as hilarious as I do - look for it at the Warner Archives.

Oh, and Charlie came in just as I was leaving to fix the bathroom sink. He didn't end up replacing the whole thing, just the faucets, pipes, and drain. At the very least, it not only works, but drains far faster, and I don't have to pull the handles as tight as I can to keep them from dripping anymore.

No comments: