Wednesday, March 16, 2016

It's Not Where You Start, It's Where You Finish

My day began badly. Charlie showed up while I was working on my journal. I assumed he would just need space to get under the sink and mess with the pipes for the next few days. Turns out Miss Willa hadn't been specific in her letter. Charlie needed to get BEHIND the sink...and the entire damn back wall. He had to tear out the wall behind the sink and cabinets to get to the pipes. That meant I had to clear out pretty much everything in the damn kitchen but the major appliances I couldn't move on my own anyway. That took a lot longer than I thought it would! I barely had the time to eat, change, and rush to work. (And I still didn't get everything.)

Work wasn't much better. You'd think people would be in happier moods on a day that started out sunny and in the 60's. No, they were cranky and rude and annoying. Didn't help that I was in the register all day. We were on and off busy all day and didn't have enough help when there were lines to deal with, too. At least I had time to work on story ideas. Thankfully, it slowed down enough by 4 PM that I was able to shut down without a relief.

While Charlie told me he'd put the refrigerator in the living room and keep it plugged in, I obviously wasn't going to be able to use the stove or much in the way of utensils for a few days. I bought a Chicken Caeser salad bowl for dinner and bagels for breakfast for the next few days. Though clouds were starting to build up at this point, the weather was mostly still pretty decent, if windy. I took Nicholson Road home, dodging rush hour traffic on the way.

To tell the truth, the reason I took Nicholson Road home was I really didn't want to go home. Thing is, I didn't have anywhere else to go. I didn't want to see how bad things looked. The sink, the stove, and the fridge are in the living room; the fridge is plugged in. I tossed the bagels in there for lack of better ideas. I tried not to look at the gaping hole in the back and the exposed plumbing.

I spent the rest of the evening online and working on writing. Though Force magic got the guys into Bast Castle, using it depleted Ben and Luke's energy stores too badly to get them out the same way. It's Han's idea to knock out a couple of guards and for him, Cecil, and Chewie to wear their armor. Luke and Ben have enough magic to make their Force Knight armor look like the black-and-white armor worn by the Imperial Army. They get a guard to tell them that Leia is being held in the Death Tower.

Vader, however, senses something in that carriage. Two somethings...one of whom is definitely his old master Sir Benjamin Kenobi...

To my surprise, it rained while I was working on my story. It only rained a little bit, for about 20 minutes or so, and not heavily. I think we're supposed to get some tomorrow as well, then it'll get colder - and admittedly, closer to what it should be at this time of year - starting Friday.

Charlie left a note that said he'd never gotten around to working on the bathroom this afternoon. I was able to take a nice, long bath, listening to the music that inspired Singin' In the Rain and reading over cake decorating books and the Star Wars storybooks I got last week.

No comments: