Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Windy Spring

I was glad to awaken to a sunny, windy day after the threat of snow over the weekend. Ran It's the Easter Beagle, Charlie Brown as I ate breakfast. The Peanuts are preparing for spring in their own very unique ways. Sally's begging her brother for new clothes. Snoopy's buying Woodstock a birdhouse. Peppermint Patty wants to teach Marcie how to color eggs. Marcie has no idea of how to actually cook a hard-boiled egg and keeps doing everything but hard-boiling them. Lucy tries to cajole Schroeder into giving her presents, then hides her own Easter eggs. Don't bother with the preparations, Linus insists. The Easter Beagle does all that. Sally is skeptical, to say the least. Meanwhile. Charles Schultz tosses in a few cracks about extra-early holiday sales.

Spent the rest of the morning working on fanfiction. The Dagobah Swamps are mucky and slimy and smelly, but they're the only way to lose the Imperial Army and get to the Rebels. At one point, Luke is dragged into the muck by an ugly creature with thick tentacles. Leia and Han get him out, but he loses his father's sword in the mire. The Falcon gets stuck in the muck as well. They have to abandon her, to Han's chagrin. The trio and the two servants finally ride back on the horses.

Did two spring-themed Disney shorts while eating lunch. The black-and-white "Springtime" is the earliest seasonal-based Silly Symphony cartoon. Animals and flowers dance in time to the classic music as they enjoy the new, warmer weather. "Goddess of Spring" is far more ambitious. This operatic retelling of the myth of Persephone and Hades was intended to be a mini-test run for Snow White and the Seven Dwarves. It wasn't entirely successful - Persephone dances like she's made of rubber - but the music is nice, and the underworld segment is pretty well-done.

Work wasn't too bad when I got in. It got much warmer later in the afternoon, which is probably why we were quiet for a lot of the day. I wiped down registers in the early afternoon. There was a soda spill shortly after my break. I wish people would be a little nicer about telling me where things are in the back room. No, I don't automatically know where everything is. I've only been doing this for three weeks. I never needed to know where anything back there was before! Passed the rest of the day in a register when rush hour hit and we got busy. My relief was one of the college girls who is always on time.

When I got home, I had a quick dinner of leftovers while watching the Disney Robin Hood. Animals retell the famous English legend, as a quick-witted fox Robin and a good-natured bear Little John (Phil Harris) outwit the nasty lion Prince John (Peter Ustinov) and his snake counselor Sir Hiss (Terry-Thomas). This is one of my favorite lesser-known movies in the Disney animated canon. The utterly hilarious script and delightful voice work make up for the cheap animation that was common of Disney movies from the 70's.

And yikes! I have no idea how this happened, but something put a hole through the roof of my bedroom just a couple of hours ago. I thought it was just feral cats and squirrels running around up there. Are there wolverines on my roof or something? I still haven't heard from Charlie. I know he was puttering around down there this morning, but he never came up here, and I never heard from him. I'll have to call him tomorrow, whether the bathroom sink is ready or not.

No comments: