Thursday, August 25, 2016

Rainbow Flight

Once again began the day with work. Work was more-or-less the same as yesterday, and even less busy. By the time it started picking up, I was done. I rounded up carts when I arrived and after lunch, did a few returns, and gathered trash. (And I found out what all the secrecy was with not telling me why I can't do returns yesterday. I'm guessing someone saw me peeking at the books in the magazine aisle. I really, really wish they'd tell me this stuff when it happens and not wait.)

One of the customer service mangers called me up as I was leaving. The union the Acme belongs to was giving out money leftover from its strike fund. Did I want my share? Uh, yes! She let me call them in the office. It amounts to about $230 and will be here in a day or two.

Had lunch when I got home and finished out My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic. "Testing, Testing, 123" has Twilight Sparkle trying to help Rainbow Dash study for her entrance exam to get into the Wonderbolts, an exclusive flying squadron. Rainbow just doesn't seem to pick up any history from Twilight's endless flashcards and notes, or Rarity's historical fashion parade, or Pinkie's rap. She thinks she's stupid...until she discovers her own method of learning. She finally makes the cut in "Newbie Dash," but messes up badly her first day in the Wonderbolts. The other members of the team dub her "Rainbow Crash." She loathes the nickname and tries to find a way to out-fly it.

The Cutie Mark Crusaders have finally earned the symbol on their rears that represents their talents by the time of "On Your Marks." They want to continue to find other ponies who need help understanding their Cutie Marks, but they can't find anyone together. Apple Blossom is upset when the other two leave to pursue separate interests. She can't find anything for her to do on her own, until she takes up tap dancing and meets a young male colt who wants to dance more than anything, but has horrible stage fright. She corrals the other two to help make his dreams come true...and show her that we can expand our horizons (and our pool of friends) when we break out of our shells and try new things.

Spent the next couple of hours working on my fanfic. Luke eventually joins his friends at the beach. The guys tell him about their summers and how they're hoping to help stop Empire Industries from buying the Cottages. Meanwhile, Leia decides to go for a walk down to the docks, where she meets a certain fisherman and his big, hairy English buddy...

I had just enough time to throw together a summer vegetable casserole from ground turkey and various old veggies I had in my refrigerator for dinner. Ran an episode of Faerie Tale Theatre while I cooked and ate. "The Emperor's New Clothes" is an adaptation of the comic Hans Christian Anderson tale about a ruler (Dick Shawn) who is more obsessed with his clothes than anything else. He constantly taxes his subjects to finance his wardrobe. Two con men (Art Carney and Alan Arkin) invent an "invisible" cloth that fools can't see and use it to take the whole court, including the vain Emperor himself, for a ride.

No comments: