Thursday, August 04, 2016

Size Matters Not

It was an absolutely gorgeous day when I headed to work this morning, even cool. It did eventually become a little bit warmer and more humid than yesterday, but nothing like it was last week. I rounded up carts for about 40 minutes when I arrived and an hour after lunch, but I spent most of the day either doing returns or mopping up leaks and spills. We weren't all that busy - I only ended up in the register twice, both times going in for someone else's break, and in both cases I wasn't there long.

The weather was so nice, I took the long way home down Nicholson Road again. There was traffic around what appeared to be a fender-bender at the entrance to WalMart. Otherwise, traffic was relatively light, and I had an easy and pleasant ride home.

When I got in, I went right in a short bath. Ahhh. I needed that. Even though it's not as hot, I still sweat when I push carts. I soaked in those rose bath crystals I bought for my birthday and looked over two old Christmas With Southern Living craft books from 1986 and 1991 respectively. An old Gershwin-themed jazz CD helped me relax.

I was going to spend the next few hours writing, but the Internet was down again when I came on...and once again, the online light on my modem was on. That was the last straw. It lost me an hour of writing, but I did roll back to Windows 8.1. Maybe Windows 10 works for a lot of people, but it doesn't seem to work for me. I'll wait until I buy a new computer to upgrade my operating system.

After all that, I didn't have much time for writing. Jabba, still a merman, shows up with Luke as a hostage. He wants Beast-Han to shred Leia, or Leia to kill The Beast. Han's reluctant to do it. She's been nice to him, and he has feelings for her. Jabba reminds him that he holds all the aces, including Leia's beloved brother.

I broke for dinner around 6:30. Watched Ant-Man while eating leftovers, including the last of the green beans from Dad's birthday party. Scott Lang (Paul Rudd) is a thief who wants to go straight for the sake of his small daughter Cassie. His buddies direct him to one last big score - the huge old safe owned by eccentric retired CEO Hank Pym (Michael Douglas). What he finds there is a suit. He's not happy at first...until he learns the suit allows him to change his size.

Pym wanted him to find it. He's chosen him as the new Ant-Man, a size-shifting superhero who fights with his wits and through his friendship with ants, not with big weapons. Pym wants him to steal an experimental suit from his former protege who ousted him from his company (Corey Stoll) and intends to use the suit for evil purposes. Scott feels like he's in over his head (in many ways) at first, especially when dealing with Pym's daughter Hope (Evangeline Lily). He and Hank both discover that you don't need a fancy suit or a growth formula to be a hero to your daughters - the only thing that needs to grow is your heart.

This one was a huge and very pleasant surprise for me. I hadn't heard good things about it. I never even heard of this character until I saw the cartoon Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes a few years ago. This movie was so much fun, probably the most fun I've had with any of the Marvel Universe films that didn't involve Captain America. Rudd was a delightfully charismatic thief, and Douglas was equally good as his mentor. I do wish the villain had been a little more creative, though - he almost seemed like a replay of the villain in the first Iron Man movie.

Between this, Guardians of the Galaxy, Big Hero 6, and Kingsmen: The Secret Service, I'm really loving all these little-known comic books that have been turning up lately. I hope Marvel and other companies will continue to dig into their vaults and give more obscure properties a chance.

No comments: