Friday, August 26, 2016

Return of the Crystal

Spent most of the morning writing, and actually getting somewhere this time. Luke and Ben hit the beach to meet his buddies Wedge and Deak for some surfing. (Hobbie took Biggs in their cottage to get him cleaned up after the fight with the Imperial Gang.) The boys admire Leia as she heads down to the docks. (Luke doesn't get it - she's just his sister.) Ben used to be a part of an elite group of surfers known as the Jedi in the 50's and 60's. The group disbanded in the late 60s, but Ben says he might be able to teach Luke and his buddies some of their tricks now.

Ran Backyardigans tales of adventure and exploration during breakfast and while getting ready for work. "High Tea" has Tyrone, Pablo, and Uniqua unable to decide on an exciting thing to do, so they let Tasha choose the activity. She goes with a tea party. This elicits groans from the other kids...until they realize that Tasha's idea of a "tea party" involves trips to Borneo, the Gobi Desert, and a meeting with the Emperor of China (Austin) for the ingredients for the perfect cup of tea.

Uniqua heads to "The Heart of the Jungle" to return a wormen, one of the bright-colored worm-like critters that appear on the show from time to time, to its home. Tyrone, Pablo, and Austin all represent facets of Tarzan's character or personality over the years - Tyrone talks to animals, Pablo is super-strong, and Austin doesn't talk much. Uniqua insists she's a scientist, and scientists don't believe all that pulp fiction mumbo-jumbo.

Work wasn't too bad when I got in. I did returns right when I arrived and around quarter after 3. It started to pick up shortly after...and got to be a pain. I got stuck in the register at least three times. The manager told me to do returns instead of going on my break, which was a half-hour late. When I tried getting out there again, they put me back in the registers because the lines were so darn long. By the time I made it back outside, I only had ten minutes left. And I was alone for my last hour there, which was probably a mistake.

Pretty decent schedule this week. Thankfully after all the trouble today, the latest I work is 4 on Sunday. The rest of the week is all morning work, Tuesday and next Saturday off (the former for counseling). Nothing abnormal for the time of year, and slightly more hours.

I didn't really need all that much this week, especially since I planned on doing my produce shopping at farm markets. Restocked sugar, canned chicken, tomato sauce, crushed pineapple, chocolate chips, skim milk, and buttermilk. The clearance shelves are still full - I grabbed more vanilla extract and Pillsbury Cranberry Quick Bread mix to stock up for the holidays, along with tomato soup and chicken and dumplings soup. They really didn't have too much in the way of meat on good sales. I bought chicken sausages with a manager's coupon on them and beef hot dogs I'll cut up and make into my own home-made beans and weenies.

But mostly importantly, I saw a display for Crystal Pepsi in the front of the store. Matt at Dinosaur Dracula mentioned last Christmas it was coming back, but I hadn't seen it around here yet. I had to buy a bottle. It didn't disappoint. It was just as sweet and good as it was when I used to drink it occasionally in the mid-90's.

When I finally made it home, I changed, put everything away, then went right back out. Today was Oaklyn's Final Friday Festival, aka their Farm Market and food booth block party. This time, they had three farm booths. They had a small selection but good prices, and even a few things I'd never seen before. I went with a tomato, two leeks, an eggplant, two small green peppers, and a new one on me - a white cucumber. Stopped and admired kids scribbling on a long piece of white sketch paper to make a unique banner at Studio LuLoo's booth.

Bought a gyro from one of the food trucks for dinner. It was very tasty, but soo messy! I had a hard time finding a place to eat. It was still packed on West Clinton at quarter after 7. I finally sat down across from a family with a baby and an older boy who looked like they were just about ready to leave. Bought a sweet and butter slice of pound cake from Viola's International Deli's booth on the way home.

No comments: