Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Out In the Sunshine

Began the day with an early work shift. Thankfully after all the trouble I've had in the last week or so, today was relatively painless. I mostly spent it doing returns and rounding up the few carts. It being the last day of the month, the middle of the week before a major holiday, and gorgeous outside to boot probably helped. It didn't really get busier until around noon. I got stuck in the register once. By the time the crowds were picking up again, I was done for the day.

Rushed straight home, changed into regular clothes, and went back out again to run errands. First stop was Phillies Phatties for a quick lunch. I had my usual slice of cheese and slice of mushroom, along with a can of Baja Blast. It was quarter 2 by the time I made it there, and the place was deserted. I listened to a college football show on ESPN and ate my pizza in silence.

Headed across Newton Lake Park after I ate, on my way to Westmont. It was an absolutely glorious day, hot and a little humid, but not too bad. I really wish we'd get some rain. The grass in particular looks so brown and brittle! I saw a few dog walkers and fellow bikers as I passed.

The Haddon Township Library was really busy when I arrived. Once again, the carts were overloaded...but they had more help this time, including a teenage girl. I just shelved the kids' DVDs and the overflowing CDs and audio books. (At least, as many CDs as I could shelve. They no longer close to all fit in the reduced CD shelves.)

I want to concentrate on writing and cleaning this week, so I limited my DVD rentals to animation and short movies. They had the newest Strawberry Shortcake set in. I've seen the Shirley Temple vehicle Captain January before, but not in a very long time. One of the Star Wars AUs I have planned is based around The Nutcracker. I found an animated film called The Nutcracker Sweet that could work for inspiration. I also took out two kids' books on the 80's (my current fanfic is set during the summer of 1983).

Made a very quick stop at Dollar Tree on the way home, mainly for sponges. That was a bit of a pain in the rear. The line was literally half-way across the store! Thankfully, there were two lines open, and they both moved relatively fast.

Did a few hours working on my story after I got home. Hera tells Leia that "Fulcrum" is going to talk to them at the party about saving the Cottages. Hank and his buddy and first mate Charlie watch Leia as she strolls home. Charlie can tell Hank is already smitten, but he'd never admit it.

Luke's friends are notorious for their wild parties. Leia's not as amused. She winds her way through the drugs and lobster races and Atari games to find Hera and some of the others on the porch in the back, talking about what Empire Industries might have planned for the properties they're buying. She can't help but listen in...

Ran episodes of Strawberry Shortcake while making chicken sausage with sauteed zucchini, red onion, and mushrooms for dinner. Camping and tall tales told around the fire are the themes of these stories, which also introduce three new characters. Apple Dumpling is obsessed with filming her experience...but she's missing all the fun with the others. Sweet and Sour are a pair of accurately-named twins. Sweet's shy and gentle, Sour is mouthy and a bit of a whiner.

The first story has Plum, Orange Blossom, and Lemon Meringue telling a tale that gets wilder and wilder when they show up at the campsite without the food they brought. The second focuses on Sweet and Sour. Sour tells her own wild story around the fire, but Sweet isn't good at improv and can't figure out how to join in...until her sister backs herself into a corner and needs a little sibling intervention to get out.

No comments: