Thursday, September 27, 2018

Never Too Late to Learn

It was sunny and very chilly when I got up this morning. I had breakfast, then laughed over episodes of The Cat and the Hat Knows a Lot About That to warm me up inside and out. Nick has a "Rumbly Tumbly" when they're working on a cake-themed puzzle. Dr. Giggles' machine allows them to take a "fantastic voyage" through Thing 1 to see how their stomachs digest food. Nick and Sally can't seem to make the floor of their bedroom comfortable. They learn how to create something soft to sleep in from a family of gorillas in "Gorilla In the Nest." The kids want to compete in a three-legged race, but they can't figure out how to walk together. A trio of forest insects and bugs show them how to keep the beat in "Take a Walk." They also learn how animals walk in "Step This Way." Emily the Teal (duck), Mikey the lemur, and Greg the Gecko show how different feet help them do different jobs. Nick needs a patch for his shirt, so the cat takes him and Sally to Dr. Twiggles to show how cloth is made from a "Cotton Patch."

My favorite was "Anything You Can Do." Nick and Sally are trying to imitate the Cat, but they can't quite figure out how to do Martin Short yet. Mimi the Mimic Octopus gives the kids a lesson in how she imitates different poisonous animals in order to scare off predators. Not only had I never heard of the mimic octopus before, but watching the kids and the Cat trying to follow Mimi and imitate the various animals of the deep sea was hilarious.

Went to work right after the disc ended. This was the most painless shift I've had in weeks, if not months. Not only were we stone-dead for the entire afternoon, but unlike yesterday, we had plenty of help. I did the carts for the first half-hour and the last half-hour, but I mainly scrubbed the bottoms of the freezers in aisle 9 and 10 on the request of one of our new managers. She was right. Condensation had been gathering on many of the doors throughout the summer, leaving a wet, gunky mess. I scrubbed it all off as much as I could. Aisle 9, where the ice cream, pizza, and frozen vegetables are, was so bad, it took me two hours. Aisle 10 (frozen dinners, waffles, meat, juice, fruit, and vegetarian items) took a little over an hour.

Did some writing as soon as I got home. Vader lets them through, and they head into the jungle to set up camp. While Artie admires the view and Clarence wishes he wouldn't do it so close to the edge of a cliff, Harry kicks at the truck they borrowed, and Luke and Leia realize they feel presences in the jungle. Not bad, but ferocious...and savage...

Broke at 6:30 to have leftovers for dinner. Watched the MGM musical Till the Clouds Roll By as I ate, and later while I was online. I discuss this one further at my Musical Dreams Reviews blog.

Till the Clouds Roll By

Dark clouds had begun gathering as early as my ride home from work, but it didn't really start raining until about an hour or so ago. (And no pyrotechnics tonight. It's just a heavy shower, as far as I can tell.) It's supposed to stop by tomorrow morning.

No comments: