Sunday, September 23, 2018

The Eagles Stampede Over the Colts

Began a gloomy, rainy morning with early work. It wasn't bad when I arrived. I spent the first hour and a half or so doing two full carts of returns. The crowds started showing up around 11...and we were insanely busy until almost 2. I got thrown in the register for most of that time. All I did was panic. The lines were so long, and I had so much to remember! All my customers say I do fine, but I don't feel like I do. I just get so nervous!

And the managers told me I had to move my bike inside from the bike rack, where it's been perfectly fine for over a decade. They just had to dump a load of firewood in front of the bike rack, making it impossible to actually use it without blocking people's way. I don't know why our customers can't walk around the darn firewood. A tiny bit of rain never killed anyone. I was so fed up by that point, I burst into tears outside. Thankfully, it slowed down enough by 2 that I spent my last hour helping the other bagger gather carts, which desperately needed to be done.

I was so happy to get out of there and ride over to Dad and Jodie's for the game, rain or no rain. I saw a little of the Eagles game in the back room at work. They were ahead of the Colts when I caught them after I brought the bike inside, but by the time I parked the bike next to their garage, the Colts were ahead 13-10. The Eagles got a touchdown not long after I settled down at the kitchen island with lasagna, fresh French bread, and Caesar salad. The Colts just couldn't catch up, especially after they got a last-minute field goal that won them the game 20-16.

(And the Eagles weren't the only team on the East Coast who did well today. Dad's other team, the Dolphins, managed to swim past the Raiders 28-20, while the Giants squashed the Texans 27-20. Mark's beloved Packers just couldn't get past an on-fire Redskins and lost big, 31-17.)

The house was jumping when I got in. Along with Dad, Jodie, Jessa, Dana, and Rose and her family, we had a friend of Khai's named Cole and my cousin Mark and his new girlfriend. Rose brought a tray of strawberries and Peppridge Farm chocolate chip, snickerdoodle, and brownie chocolate chip cookies. Jessa brought onion dip and a tasty spinach dip.

Khai and Cole were surrounded by piles of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles action figures and were making them fight all over the Little Tykes mountain playset Jodie keeps for Khai's toys. Khai's little sister Finley wanted to play too, but she's only one and is much too young for action figures. She settled on grabbing hold of part of the Technodrome. Their friends Emily and and Chloe came later, after playing with Barbies at Emily's house.

After the game, Jodie corralled some of her guests to help her and Dad officially cover the pool for the season. The kids watched them, then pretended they were various characters swimming through water. Cole didn't join us. He and Khai went out earlier, but he slipped and fell and bumped his head. He rested while the kids chased each other around.

I finally headed home around quarter of 5. Did a little bit of writing. Luke keeps insisting to Leia that Vader is their father, and he's their real family. No, says Leia. Uncle Owen and Aunt Bertha and Papa Bail and Mama Breha are our family. Vader is nothing and never cared about us. She'd be glad if he disappeared off the face of the Earth.

Finally broke at 7. Thought I'd wake myself up a bit and finish the night with some Super Smash Bros Brawl. I haven't played that since Christmas Day two years ago. Did Classic mode on Normal with Princess Peach. It took me at least six or seven continues, but I did beat it. This was the first time I managed to get through the final round with the giant hand in one go, without having to use any of my continues.

I got in at just the right time. It was starting to rain hard again as I was riding home. It picked up while I was writing, and has been showering hard for the rest of the night. I hope it doesn't continue. I want to get the laundry done tomorrow.

No comments: