Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Warm for November

The Acme called this morning as I read the book on Thanksgiving history Linda Young sent me a few years ago in bed. Could I come in an hour early? They really needed help bagging. Sure, but I had to eat breakfast first. I also needed to unplug the refrigerator, load the food in the freezer into a Styrofoam cooler, and spread towels on the floor so the freezer could defrost. It had gotten so bad, I was having trouble closing it.

Ran the Thanksgiving episode of Perfect Strangers while I got moving. In "Wild Turkey" from the seventh season, Larry's latest scheme has him buying a flock of live turkeys to sell right before Thanksgiving. His wife Jennifer is convinced one ate her wedding ring. Larry and Balki have to invade a family's home right before dinner in order to check and see if that turkey ate the ring.

For once, they had a good reason for calling me in early. We were on-and-off steady all day. Not only is it two days before the major food holiday of the year, but Tuesday is our Senior Discount Day. I spent the entire day alternating between gathering carts and sweeping the store. At least it was a gorgeous day for it. The sun was out, the sky was clear, and it was so warm, I did carts the whole afternoon in my shirtsleeves, with no need for a coat.

Went straight home after I finished. The refrigerator had about 95 percent defrosted. The back was still a little iced, but I was able to get the ice off everywhere else. Swept the ice into the sink, then cleaned up the water and hung the wet towels to dry.

Made a simple, hearty dinner of a salmon patty (it's too big to be a burger), roasted turnip chips, and sauteed Brussels sprouts and turnip greens. Ate them with home-made cranberry sauce while listening to A Victorian Christmas. Since I read about Thanksgiving in the Victorian era this morning, I thought I'd listen to holiday music from that era, including both well-known favorites like "The Holly and the Ivy" and lesser-known hymns like "Jacob's Ladder."

Worked on writing for an hour after dinner. She taunts Allen, telling him that she already has the Princess of Water under her thumb and will use her to get the kingdom. Allen refuses her last entreaty to join their kingdoms. Charles is horrified when she turns to a troll who oddly resembles Sir Dick Gautier.

Finished the night with the 1960 TV version of Peter Pan with Mary Martin. I go further into this much-loved small-screen fantasy at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.

Peter Pan (1960)

No comments: